New Mexico Offrange Oryx Pics Added

Justin Lee

So after four years of trying to draw a tag and after seeing two of my buddies both tag out off range oryx it was finally my turn this year to give it a go. With a 15% offrange harvest rate for Oryx I knew that I was going to be in for the long haul if I was going to succeed on Public land for oryx. During my time in the desert I spent a total of 7 days hunting and put more than 600 miles on my pickup just on dirt roads alone.
100_5368.jpg

This is me in some of the Terrain I was hunting in. Even though I am was wearing a long sleeve shirt tempertures throughout the hunt reached highs of 90+ degrees.

Although I was happy to have drawn a tag, I don't know if there was actually a worse time to be hunting in the New Mexico Desert. Though most spots were dry it is monsoon season in the desert and a 4x4 is not an accessory it was a necessity for this trip. This was the conditions of the best roads. I don't know if even took pictures of the bad ones, I was just trying not to get stuck.
100_5383.jpg

Good luck finding any tracks though, many of the spots have no sign of oryx drinking but I did find the occasional one or two.
100_5381.jpg

The bullet in this picture is from some of my own reloads I have developed for my gun which consist of 180 gr barnes triple (TSX) and RL19. My gun is a 300 win mag stainless steel savage with the matching silver burris 3-9x40 ballistic plex scope.

Coming down to the last availible day for me to hunt persistance finally paid off. The shot I took was not exactly extreme long range but was a decent shot. At just over 200 yards I lined out on a lone bull I spotted that was quartering to me that gave me long enough to take a shot. Shooting through the left shoulder the 180gr barnes did its job perfectly collapsing the animal on the spot with a shot to the heart making a golf ball size entry and never exiting.

Being that it was 90+ degrees and 150 miles from where I needed to take the animal I never stopped to think about posing with the animal, which comes at a loss to us all. This is a picture my girlfriend Kendall took while I was preparing to load the animal. I put here to work on this trip and I hope she still will enjoy hunting after having to load a 275 field gutted animal in to the back of a pickup.
002.jpg

The bull measures right at 28 inches on both sides. These pictures were taken at my folks place about 100 miles north and about 2000 ft higher elevation which made it nice and cool for processing the animal. By the way the 30 pack in the back was for the four guys that came to my rescue when it came to cutting this guy up. Thanks Randy, Roy, Max, and Cody.
008.jpg

022.jpg

Hope you guys enjoy this as much as I enjoyed the trip until next time, remember when someone asks you how you can kill such a beautiful animal tell them with a precision rifle and a steady aim.

Justin

Last edited:
WEe know you have

So after four years of trying to draw a tag and after seeing two of my buddies both tag out off range oryx it was finally my turn this year to give it a go. With a 15% offrange harvest rate for Oryx I knew that I was going to be in for the long haul if I was going to succeed on Public land for oryx. During my time in the desert I spent a total of 7 days hunting and put more than 600 miles on my pickup just on dirt roads alone. Coming down to the last availible day for me to hunt persistance finally paid off. During my hunt I used my 116 stainless steel savage chambered in 300 win mag with its matching stainless 3-9x40 burris in which I was shooting some of my own loads I developed with RL19 and 180grain Barnes TSX bullets. The shot I took was not exactly extreme long range but was a decent shot. At just over 200 yards I lined out on a lone bull I spotted that was quartering to me that gave me long enough to take a shot. Shooting through the left shoulder the 180gr barnes did its job perfectly collapsing the animal on the spot with a shot to the heart making a golf ball size entry and never exiting. The bull measures just about 28 inches on both sides.

PICTURES , so give them up or there will be a excise tax on your nexty post :D No excuses like " I dont know how " because there are a boatload of folks here with the expertise and willingnes to help out . Try it and see !!

Now as the site main dollar bill man has said " pictures , we demand pictures !! "

Congrats by the way , I know it wasa a lot of fun .

Jim Brown

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.