New Mexico bans the use of scopes

I did my first muzzleloader hunt this year. In CO, black powder or BP substitute only, no sabot, no scopes, and a few other things.

I enjoyed the heck out of it, but man what an eye opener. I figured my range was going to be 150 max, and after practice, decided it was 100 yds in the field. Open sights, round ball, .54 cal, started grouping about 6-8" at 50 yds, and after A LOT of practice I was under 3" at 100 yds. It was frustrating from the standpoint of grouping when I am used to 1" or less at 100yds with rifles. having not shot a muzzleloader for 25 years, last time being a teenager, it took some getting used to.

I will definitely do it again! And in the mean time use the muzzleloader now and again at the range to keep up on practice.
I'm a Colorado MZ hunter and I am right there with you. It takes a lot of time, patience and $$ to dial in your setup so you have confidence even to 100 yards that you can make a killing shot. You hit on something that is getting ignored in this conversation. The guys most invested in the long range capable equipment are the ones actively improving their skillsets and, consequently, most capable of the shot. Also the ones upset the most by this type of ruling. The reality is the majority of guys shooting this type of equipment just are not practiced enough or capable enough to pull it off. Wearing Air Jordans doesn't make you Michael Jordan. None of the equipment makes up for basic hunting skills like marksmanship, pursuing your game even if you are not sure you hit it, how to track it etc. The farther the game is from you at the shot the more difficult this becomes. Modern equipment and efficiency goes against the intent of and the reason for creating MZ seasons to begin with.

Show me a bow and arrow from 150 years ago that will compete with any modern compound bow with mechanical broadheads, carbon fiber arrows, fiber optic sights, synthetic strings, cams, composite limbs, laser range finders, mechanical releases etc etc etc not very primitive, when is enough enough?
The English longbow, made of wood from the English yew tree (Taxus baccata), became famous in legend and history for the victories it won over the French at the battles of Crécy, Poitiers, and Agincourt during the Hundred Years' War. The bow was held with outstretched arm and the arrow drawn back to the bowman's ear. An English archer could shoot six aimed shots a minute, and his effective range was about 200 yards, though an arrow could go twice as far in the right hands.😉🤣🤣

The English longbow, made of wood from the English yew tree (Taxus baccata), became famous in legend and history for the victories it won over the French at the battles of Crécy, Poitiers, and Agincourt during the Hundred Years' War. The bow was held with outstretched arm and the arrow drawn back to the bowman's ear. An English archer could shoot six aimed shots a minute, and his effective range was about 200 yards, though an arrow could go twice as far in the right hands.😉🤣🤣
Is that what you use when archery hunting?

My goodness no. I use my high let off compound. I'm not some concrete worker who has killed hundreds of deer and benches 300 pounds man. You've got me mistaken with someone else.
Probably all the guys using Quigley Ford scopes that got them banned.

How many 200 + yard shots taken and how many unrecovered wounded animals lost to feed the buzzards has a lot to do with it.

FYI........... with smokeless, loading force doesn't affect velocity like it does with BH. Richard over on Hanks did that part of the test and loading forces with SML just doesn't affect velocity.

#2 FYI......... There .... might .... be a 1,000yd SML match in MI next summer. ;)
I don't like to trust lot numbers either. For instance, this year I had Kansas deer tag and New Mexico elk tag for muzzleloader. I took 4 bottles of Blackhorn and dumped them in a big bowl and mixed and stirred really well, then replaced it back in jugs. Marked jugs as 2022. That way I know I'm not going to be using a lesser product by opening a new jug during my hunting year. I'm shooting a Arrowhead Brux using 115 grain By WEIGHT, and getting right at 2500 fps using Luke's 300 grain NSR. Extremely accurate

Rules and regulations change with regard to wildlife management and weapons used usually because of the human dimension of wildlife management more so than than wildlife biology side of things, but its usually mixed.
Seasons are based typically on past harvest data, hunter success ratios, etc. If say a steady trend of increased harvest during muzzleloader season is seen you may see a shortened season or additional limits on weaponry. Yes the ultra modern smokeless long range muzzleloader exists but I doubt it is norm for harvest, hell long range not average for most during general firearms season. Saying no scopes takes out the normal CVA, T/C, Knight with a 3-9 that can easily shoot 200yds without a great deal of work. Now I would make a $20 wager 8 of 10 people going hunting this coming Saturday couldn't hit a 10" circle at 200 with irons no matter what gun they have, its just not the type of shooting most people practice or are proficient at. Hell I wouldn't put more than a $20 bet on myself to make an ethical shot at 200yds with irons right now add in waning light and it sure isn't happening.
Limiting to irons will allow hunters an increased effective range of about 100yards (for most) from bow season, but not turn muzzleloader season into effectively single shot rifle season.

I will add this would annoy the crap out of me since I have no idea where the irons that came on my Knight are. I took them off years ago the day of bought it an put a Nikon with BDC reticle on it. 😆

Recent Posts