New Leupolds's Boone & Crocket Reticle

Re: New Leupolds\'s Boone & Crocket Reticle

Whot a pal..
rolleyes.gif
grin.gif

Do I at least get dinner.? d:^) JiNC

Guys: Good scopes;bad scopes; and Brent, you are right. You know, perhaps it is the left over pizza I just had for breakfast, but I have to tell you – I am completely sick of the BS about what makes up a good scope and I have read testimonies from people with fifteen year old Weavers claiming that they cost under $200.00 and work great. Great reputation, Great internal components, Great assembly and Great quality control "is" what it takes to make a Great scope. Without these attributes, you have a scope that will probably shoot 1" or greater groups, will most probably shoot two different groups, and will fatigue and fail within eighteen months of shooting. Yet IF you are the average shooter / hunter out there, you could live your whole life and never know / realize it. But the fact of the matter is that there are only a few good scope manufacturers turning out professional grade product and those are probably Night Force, Hensholdt, Schmidt Bender, and the Leupold M4. I cannot testify myself about USO because I have never owned one. But for the most part, reputation, both in quality and in business practice is everything and you should be listening to the people that have owned them and what they have to say. Colonel Chandler of Iron Brigade armory builds the finest quality products he can possibly build, stands by his products and lives by that creed. So does Badger Ordnance, Night Force, Tactical Interventions and myself; and so should you.

With the Burris Ballistic mil dot/plex and the Leupold type drop calibrated reticles they can be recalibrated to the actual drop rates for whatever load you are shooting.
You can use the MOA information given per the drop lines on your reticle and calibrate it to your load.
For the Ballistic mildot my .300 win mag load recalibrates at roughly (I don't have the exact numbers here at work).
0 = 115 yards
200= 195 actual
300= 297 actual
400= 408 actual
500= recalibrate to 525 actual is 522
600= recalibrate to 650 actual is 640
700= recalibrate to 800 actual is 800
You get the idea.
It doesn't matter if your load is faster or slower than the load the scope was orinally calibrated at from the factory. You can recalibrate the reticle lines to your actual drops.
It is easy to do.
Run your load in one of the free ballistic programs on the net. Run it out to 900 yards in 10 yards increments to get the drop information you will need to figure your MOA points to match up to your reticle.
I found the formula on the Burris site, as well as the MOA information for the aimpoints in the reticle.
The formula to calculate MOA is negative inches of bullet drop divided by yardage times 100 = MOA then you match up the MOA of your load to the drop chart MOA's for your scope. You can play around with the figures and see how diffent loads will fit your aim points in your reticle.
Believe me it is easy to do, noone is more math challenged than me and I figured it out pretty easily. Then you would need to do actual field tests to make sure it all checks out.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.