Leupold Boone and Crockett Reticle?

Topshot

With the Leupold® Boone and Crockett™ Big Game Reticle.

Has anyone got the measured values between the center cross hair and the lower cross bars at 100 yards.

I need these measurements to calculate a proper drop chart for a mate and his 7mm-08 using the Leupold aiming marks.

What measurement are you looking for??? Actual shot placement while holding on either crosshair...or the visual spread between the two at 100 yds when viewing at 100 yds?

Being a SFP the power setting impotant. Leupold gives 2 sets of values One for Large bullet drop(Big triangle)and one for small(small triangle) Align the desired trangle with the mark for the following in moa of elevation

• ............................Big............................. small
  • Cross hair............ 0
  • First bar ..............2.19............................ 2.74
  • Second bar .........4.8 ...............................6.0
  • Third ...................6.26 ............................7.83
  • Top of post......... 7.82............................ 9.78
So for example If your using the large triangle which IIRC is full magnification then holding on the third bar will give 6.26 moa of elevation

Last edited:
What measurement are you looking for??? Actual shot placement while holding on either crosshair...or the visual spread between the two at 100 yds when viewing at 100 yds?

What I am after is the visual spread between the marks at 100 yards at the maximum magnification or whatever the magnufication the ranging mark is set for.

eg, on the Burris 3-9 scope with ballistic plex. At 9 power the distance between the marks is given at 100yards. I just need this information.
Thanks.

I use one for a 300 Win Mag. The cross hairs are 200, the next is 300, then 400, the small hash is 450, and the top of the post is 500. For a caliber such as the 300 Ultra, you would add 100 yards to all of the above and sight it in for 300 yards.

Ok Thanks.
I have got these bars sorted out. Now I can play with the figures and Exbal to come up with a good zero for the rifle and plots for each triangle marker.

Its easy when you have good help.....Thanks.

I have this Scope mounted on a custom m700 with a 31 inch barrel.
It's in 308 win, now according to the ballistic manual, the closet Round to mine is a 150 grain at 2850. Using the small triangle, for ***** out to 300 yards plus.
That didn't work, I'm using a Sierra 165 grain at 2860 or so.
I fired at a Deer from a solid prone rested position, off my bipod and resting the Rifle on my backpack.
Distance 357 yards, I took the power ring up to the small triangle, placed my aim between the 300 and 400 hash mark. And squeezed off the Shot.The Deer just walked away, I checked of course no hit.
Next evening I placed a Target at 357 yards, using the same hold, the bullet struck 7 inches high and 4 inches right.
I then checked Zero at two hundred and the round struck dead center.
I contacted Leupold, and in the email response they said to use the large Trangle to set the zero hash marks using that load.
That seems strange to me, as the velocity is almost the same as their listed 308, 150 grain load.
I'll test this out, I was surprised and a little disappointed.
Has anyone any experience with this scope where the listed triangle didn't calibrate as you thought it would and the other one did?

Most people set up ballistic reticles on max power. Being that these are sfp, as mentioned above, any change in the power setting will change your drops. The lower the setting, the more distance between the marks in relationship to the target.

As with any ballistic information, these all have to be verified on targets before hunting.

Because target verification is a must, and I prefer two power ranges to be able to shoot at. I shoot at 200 on max power (20) with all of the marks (you need a big target with the bullseye at the bottom) now you can measure exactly what is happening with your rifle. Then a turn it down to a lower setting (10) and shoot all the marks again, the groups will have more distance between them. Now I can measure the distance between the groups on both power settings and calculate the drops out to whatever distance the reticle will allow using my specific ballistic information on the load that I am using. With this you can shoot pretty accurately using hold overs on two settings.

None of this works without shooting out to the distance you plan on hunting at. You have to know exactly what your bullet is doing. Ballistic calculators can save you quite a bit of ammo by getting you close, but often the BC and or velocity needs to be changed in the calculator to match real world results.

If you have good information on your specific load (not off the box info), you can use the measurements between the marks and get really close, but still should verify on targets before you go hunting.

I realize that this is some very basic information, but see people make mistakes with sfp ballistic reticles all the time.

The B&C is a great reticle for those who will confirm and practice at those distances.It will quickly become apparent how to tweak the zero for a better fit of the two curves, or how to vary the power slightly to tune subtension to the drops.

Those that won't, can't or don't think they have to, those that think drop is all there is to mid-range shooting and those simply looking for a short-cut should consider forgetting all about it.

Thank you so much, I plan on
Verifying the scope hash marks soon.
I can hunt with my 30/06 using the Kahles scope, as I know exactly what the drops are on its hash marks.
I'll save the information you have provided and use that to set up the the Leupold Scope.
Thank you,
Yours Hugh

Something is drastically wrong if you're off by 2 MOA at that range. I would use the subtension info provided in one of the posts above. If you know the BC of the bullet and mv you should be able to match it with the subtensions much closer than that at those ranges.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.