New Hornady ELD-M bullets for 2017!!!!

Gohring3006, out of what rifle are you going to shoot the 225gr ELD M? Will you please keep us updated on the BC and if the advertised one is correct?

Would like to see a comparison between 230gr Berger and 225gr ELD M with regards to loads and BC.

Will do, I am switching to HeX boron with this particular rifle, so I'm going to get some coated and then test... The weather doesn't look good for the next week though.:rolleyes:

I would like to see a 95-100gn ELD-X for 6mm/243. I see the 107's or 108's or whatever they are in the ELD but I think they are missing a huge market. Not everyone has aftermarket barrels with the correct twist for that heavy of a bullet. I am shooting 95 gn VLDs in my .243 (factory barrel) and consistently shoots .5's or less but, for close range 100-150 yards deer shots I have seen very marginal performance, I would switch to the ELD-X in a heartbeat if they made something in a ELD-X that would stabilize in my factory barrel.

I would like to see a 95-100gn ELD-X for 6mm/243. I see the 107's or 108's or whatever they are in the ELD but I think they are missing a huge market. Not everyone has aftermarket barrels with the correct twist for that heavy of a bullet. I am shooting 95 gn VLDs in my .243 (factory barrel) and consistently shoots .5's or less but, for close range 100-150 yards deer shots I have seen very marginal performance, I would switch to the ELD-X in a heartbeat if they made something in a ELD-X that would stabilize in my factory barrel.

There is some who believe that the polymer tip doesn't factor in the total length of the bullet due to the insignificant weight it puts to the front of the bullet..
Some stability calculators will ask for the polymer tip length.
I believe this is why Hornady says the very long 225 ELD M is stabile in a 10 twist barrel.
So you may want to try a box of them and see if they are stabile. This is why I believe a lot of people get very good stability and performance from standard twist barrels and the 105 Amax..

There is some who believe that the polymer tip doesn't factor in the total length of the bullet due to the insignificant weight it puts to the front of the bullet..
Some stability calculators will ask for the polymer tip length.
I believe this is why Hornady says the very long 225 ELD M is stabile in a 10 twist barrel.
So you may want to try a box of them and see if they are stabile. This is why I believe a lot of people get very good stability and performance from standard twist barrels and the 105 Amax..
I guess that's a possibility, but they are still not the ELD-X.

gohring3006, any feedback on velocity and especially the BC on the 225gr ELD M?

I don't have a lot to add yet.
I did get out and do some testing. I was able to get the HBN coated 225 to 2970 fps (300 Weatherby) with about 1moa accuracy. The rifle is capable of consistent 1/2-3/4 Moa so I went back and did seated some longer. I haven't got back out yet. I will more than likely settle for a 2750 fps node (hopefully) just to save brass and barrel.

The 225 Bthp offered very good ballistics at 2750 fps so the new ELD with the higher BC will be a big bonus...

Dang! I am way behind, I have not even loaded the 212 and 220 ELD-X yet ... I'll just wait for you to develop the load and use it as a baseline for my .30 Lara. :):Dgun)

Cheers!

Ed
Sounds good Ed.
Right now 7828 is where it's at, I have H1000 and RL25 to try as well... Just waiting on decent weather..

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts