New H100V Change?

If you do enough research you will discover that most commercial grades of powder is either 1) a blend of multiple lots of the same powder to reduce the lot to lot variations in its specification or 2) a mixture of different powders to achieve a specific pressure/burn rate/energy profile.

If you look at ball powder you will often see a difference in kernel shapes and dimensions. In extruded powders it's often a difference in kernel length. Powders like these are blends of different powders blended to meet a specification. You can mix fast and slow powders to vary the initial rise in pressure( fast burning) and lower the peak pressure (slower burning).

Here's mine to compare.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 80
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 73
I have an old Mauser sporter in 270 WIN that never shot very accurately with any powder that I tried. Recently got a jug of the H100V and decided to try it with 130 grain bullets which was what it shot best with previously. WOW! it shot consistent 1/2 MOA groups. So, I tried 150 grain pills that it would not shoot at all. Well, once again it shot 1/2 MOA groups! I tried it in a 7mm Chilean Mauser and it also shot great. For the record, my version is 100% tiny extruded kernels.

So, I guess one won't now what they're getting until they open H100V. At least we have identified there are two types and know the extruded version is possibly .5gr slower and bulkier fill of the case.
The way I read the Hodgdon description of H100V I don't believe there ever was Balls in the extruded powder. The way I read it they simply used the chemistry of ball powder but made it into an extruded one. Maybe you got something that was contaminated. A call to Hodgdon might be a good thing to do. JMO

The way I read the Hodgdon description of H100V I don't believe there ever was Balls in the extruded powder. The way I read it they simply used the chemistry of ball powder but made it into an extruded one. Maybe you got something that was contaminated. A call to Hodgdon might be a good thing to do. JMO
The old H100V. The ball powder/spherical, globular…
IMG_0465.jpeg

IMG_0488.jpeg