New guy with a long range question

PureTexan

I am new here and this is my first post. Just wanted to say hi to everyone. This is a great forum. Now for the question.

I am kinda new to long range hunting. My long range in the past has been out to about 450 yards. I took a nice whitetail buck last year at 450 with a .243 and that really got me going into the long range game. Now I want to expand that range out to about 700 or 800 yards.

I know I have a lot to learn and I have to get started somewhere so what would be a good starting rifle? I want to start with a factory offering first to see if I will actually stick with this long range stuff.

So what would be a good factory rifle to start out with? I have had Sendero's in the past and really like them. Only downfall is the weight. I don't want a light weight rifle but at the same time I don't want a 15 pound one either. I looked at the Remington 700 CDL SF and I really like the way the rifle is set up. I know it wont set any long range records but I think it might be a good place to start and after a while I can always re barrel it and do a complete custom job. I have always been a Remington fan. Whatever rifle I decide to get with most likely be in 7mm Mag and will be used for long rang paper punching and game up to elk.

All info will be much appreciated. Thanks

PureTexan

You see my friend, it goes something like this...

Long range hunting is alot more complicated than just which rifle to buy...

To be successful at long range hunting and not just taking pot luck shots, you need not just a rifle but a long range hunting SYSTEM.

The bare minimum system comprises of the following elements;

1. A Flat shooting rifle with excellent inherent accuracy.
2. A good quality Scope with elv and windage turrets or reticle, that always tracks reliably and repeatably.
3. Accurate, precision made ammunition usually hand loaded, using high BC projectiles.
4. A quality laser rangefinder to measure the distance to your intended game.
5. A ballistic computer, or table or card or some other reliable, accurate means of determining the required elevation and windage dope from the range measurement and environmental conditions of the moment.
6. KNOWLEDGE and UNDERSTANDING on how to put it all together to make successful shots at long range.

There is a HUGE amount of other stuff that inevitably ends up as essential gear in order achieve the above points.... tools, instruments, other equipment etc etc
The point is, it gets very in depth and also quite expensive. Therefore, its virtually impossible to simply "have a dabble" and see if your going to stick with it. Its something you have to commit to from the beginning, with the right gear, tools, knowledge and understanding or you will never be successful at it.

So, i encourage you to read more, on this forum, as everything you need to know is here. Using the search function will net you the most information in the shortest time, and arm you with the knowledge to answer most of your own questions :)

the senderos are easier to get the accuracy needed. the stainless fluted ones arent that heavy to me. i have a rem 700 adl that shoots real good with CERTAIN LOADS . the remington 700 cdl in 7mmmag is a great choice. get a reliable scope , adjust the trigger and start shooting . moving back as far as your groups will let you. if you can't get it to shoot put a krieger on it and you will be amazed.

Read the above and pay attention!

To put it in the simplest terms you could use any of my 1k competition rifles and my ammo that have won a State Championship or set range records and I could use a stock rifle that was MOA or a little less and at 1K beat you like a drum.

That being said Practice, Proper set up of the rifle and LEARN TO READ CONDITION!!!!! Repeat and Repeat again. Hopefully there is someone that can help you get started because when I got into the long range game formally I had picked up quite a few bad habits and THOUGHT I knew what I was doing!

Good Luck!!!

Man. Kinda hard on him don't you think?

Take that money you were going to spend on a rifle and buy a good LRF. Keep that .243 and shoot that thing until the bbl melts down. It is much more pleasant and cheaper to shoot than a magnum. You will shoot it more and learn more over a shorter period of time. In a couple of years you will then know if you are cut out for it or not. Like the guys said before, it's much more than just a rifle and scope. You have to shoot alot to get really good. I've been at it for 6 years now and am still learning. There are just so many details that one must pay attention to and no one does it the same. Everyone has something to learn to learn from everyone else. Just take all that and use it in the best way you can. Good luck whatever you decide to do!

I know long range is not something that I am going to be able to go out and be able to do the first time. I have been shooting for a long time and I know what most calibers can and cannot do. I wasn't expecting to be an expert from the get go. I was just trying to get an idea of a good platform to start out with.

Someone mentioned keeping the .243 and shooting the hell out of it. That is already done. This has been my go to gun for everything for the past 8 years and it is about time for her to get a new tube. That is why I am looking for something a little bigger. I also have an Rock River AR in the making and after that project it will be the Remington .243's turn.

PureTexan

If you are hunting elk out to 700 yards then a remington in 300 or 338 RUM would get you there easily. With a little work they are usually plenty accurate enough for that range and you have adequate rifle for elk. Get a scope with ranging reticles or a mil dot and you can easily make dead on hits to 700 yards on game without touching the clicks. If you like the 700-800 yard ball game and want to go 1000+ yards then like said above the cost gets higher. Your same rifle may work but everything else changes to above mentioned. My off the shelf Rem 700 in 338 RUM will easily take an elk at 1000 yards. If the off the shelf rifle you choose doesn't have the accuracy to go that far then you have an excellent action to rebarrel into something that will get there. That is one of my reasons for the 300 or 338 RUM to begin with because you have the long action you need for a big long range gun without much modification. Plus, like I said, it may work fine to begin with and you have plenty of gun for elk.

If you liked the ergenomics of the Senderos then possibly look into the Remington 700 police line. They make a Remington 700 LTR (20" barrel) 300 RSAUM. I would think this would settle your need for a light weight rifle that is capable of sub moa accuracy not to mention I find my LTR to be my favorite rifle. Its easy to bring up free handed and capable of being fired off hand if needed.

They dont show up too often but there was one here at one time.
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f25/f-t-rem-700-ltr-300-saum-50792/

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.