New Guy question

Unoboats,
Could you explain a little more on your leg height bipod adjustment? I have been keeping my legs the same length and I get the jump to the right, I'm a right handed shooter, In this case which way would you adjust the legs to take some of the right jump out? Thanks
Big bulls, on my 280 which weighs around 9 lbs. I adjust my right leg a notch or 2 longer than the left. I'm a right hand shooter as well. A f-class shooter gave me that pointer 20 years ago and thus far it's helped a bit when you reduce the magnification on your scope. I saw better results 400 yds and out. But 100-200 yds show improvement as well.

So it looks like the targets are painted and you can get to them to examine them. I've heard some ranges are so busy nobody goes downrange? Fresh paint and then notes on where the paint isn't after each shot should help. And best is a spotter. Is there someone close who could spot? I got a brake on my 6.5 CM and it made the difference, especially shooting in the field where there is no paint, like prairie dogs. The noise is now double - but a $57 pair of electronic Walker headphones and I don't hear hardly anything. And I'm able to spot the hits nearly every time. Hang an egg out there in front of a plate (stick and string needed) for some fun. You will know when you hit it:)

At the big range I only shoot on the KD when no one else is using it. Even then, there is an access road at the 400yd line that crosses the range and allows access to other ranges. I would halve to shut down access to 20% of the facility to shoot farther most of the time. So that's a no go. But painting and checking steel plates is exactly what that photo I put up was. Also the same way I shoot steel at my place.

At my place I have a pasture where I can shoot to 350m easy enough whenever I want, but shooting farther would require clearing a bunch of timber. Even then I doubt I would get an extra 100m of distance.

The answer is YES! I don't put any pressure on the bipod other than the weight of the rifle itself. Unless you have some way of actually measuring the pressure it will likely be inconsistent. At 600-800 yds. it doesn't take much variation.

That jives with the video posted earlier. I'll be hitting the field later to try out some of the suggestions you guys made. I'll post findings. (likely in a very UNscientific manor)

I shoot a 300 win mag remington Long Range sendero weight barrel and I can spot my shots with a Brake. A 308 is nothing (sorry 308 guys). I switch back n forth experimenting with the JP eliminator and JP 3 port comp and also UM tactical Rage brake which is awesome and adjustable. You have to wear hearing protection brake or no brake so whats the difference? Where earplugs under muffs. Don't stand next to yourself while shooting! (LOL). You can see my You tube videos shooting the 300, 243, 220 swift with brakes. I am a believer. Thread your barrel. I have no experience with the Witt clamp on. I find it hard to believe it could hold in place for very long and I figure it will mar the barrel. If you don't like the brake you can screw ion a thread protector. Once you use a brake it is addictive. I've put a brake on all my guns I plan to take more than a handful of shots with. Target guns, Prairie dog gun and the 300 Win Mag. My 204 is ridiculous, with a JP 3 port comp it shoots like a 22LR. I had put brakes on my swift, 22250 and 243 and even the 243 had less recoil than the 204 so I decided to Brake that.

This is the Rage brake before I ebven adjusted it better than this.

JP eliminator You will learn to love the look!

243 with 100 gr. bullets and JP 3 port comp.

The Newbie quesion is not a bad one. I have brakes on most of my higher powered rifles. I have a 308, okay more specifically a Springfield M-14/M1-A chambered in 7.62X51 NATO. I have iron sight with it and have often wanted to put a scope on it. the gun recoils a bit, my old bolt 308 did not recoil much but it did push and pull my optics off target, not much but enough to not see the impact on the target. A muzzle brake will cure this, it also might have another advantageous affect for you. It might also make your rifle more accurate. I have seen it many times before. I am sure others have stated the same thing I have or a variant of it.
have a great one...

I've been reading the forums here for years. I've finally decided to ask a question that I don't remember seeing previously.

I've been having a hard time spotting shots from my .308win. Its a varmint profile factory barrel and mounted in a B&C stock with the aluminum block bedding. Its topped with a Vortex Razor HD Gen 2, 3-18x50. I have printed some really good groups with military Mk316 Mod 0 ammo. I have access to a big range in eastern NC and shoot to 800 whenever I get a chance.

My problem is spotting my shots. I know I have pressure on the bipods. I check NPA, inhale, close eyes, exhale, open eyes still on target. I believe I'm square behind the rifle but obviously I can't see myself to confirm.

My question is: Is it possible to overload the bipod? Could I be putting too much pressure on it causing it to slip under recoil? Shooting surfaces vary, sometimes its gravel, sometimes grass some times rooftops.( like I said its a big facility), today was in my pasture with real tall grass.

My accuracy seems fine. I was shooting a 4" steel plate today at 350m. I could see the target swinging after the hit but can never seem to watch the impact.
Chris you sure your red hair isn't blowing in front of your eyes? Just a thought!

I had a break made for my butt stomping Brwn A-Bolt S/S years ago . I had a bug hole load and was concerned about harmonic change on the thin factory barrel . The gun smith reamed a drop off of a heavy S/S barrel , drilled the holes and turned down to same diameter as my barrel . No change in grouping size ,l just had to re-zero and never looked back . solved serious barrel rise and a few yellow and blue shoulders. I can see impact on animals not so much on targets. All my hunting rifles wear breaks , just never forget your hearing protection.

I think a 308 has a bit too much recoil to spot shots thru the scope with.
I agree with Coldfinger and others, however, may I add one suggestion: try practicing leaving your trigger depressed until you have, immediately, returned your rifle to its original firing position. Now depending upon yardage and bullet flight time, I think, you will be able to improve your ability to spot some shots thru your scope. For me, It does have a some what unnatural feel, but practice has helped. I think it also helps in slowing down trigger release, which has its own level of importance. Last time out, shooting 9" plate at 800 yards.

Joe,
I'm right there with you. How is your accuracy before and after. I've seen lots of reports on recoil reduction but can't remember anyone reporting back specifics on changes or improvements in accuracy.
with a muzzle brake my groups are cut in half maybe because I shoot twice as much. Seriously being able to see your hit makes a difference. Shooting more helps, not worrying about recoil

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts