New Guy question

I have been thinking about a brake. That's how I got here. I figured this was my last stop before buying a brake. I've been looking into a Witt's clamp on brake. I'm just not sure I want the extra decibels. I'm already half deaf, sorta...

I usually shoot with the zoom set between 6 and 10 power depending on range to the target. I try to keep is so that I have just enough zoom to clearly see the target, but keep enough field of view to see the surrounding area. You know in keeping with cardinal rule number 4.

I thought of using a strap from a belt loop to the bipod like some guys favor for shooting off of tripods. Maybe I'll try that.

The attached pic is 3 shots on a 12 inch steel plate at 400yd. This is fairly typical of the accuracy I'm getting. Just can't spot as they hit. Maybe its much ado about nothing but if I were to hunt out west I sure would feel better about being able to spot the hits.
Chris, You can shoot great without spotting your shots. A couple of thoughts: try spotting your shots with a scoped .22 at 50, 75 & 100 yards. Then try your .308 at the same distances plus 200 yards. Install a brake. I have a clamp on Witt brake and it works great. For my AR-10, I use a threaded brake and can spot at 100 & 200 yards @ 6x power. Use VG hearing protection with brakes. I do not Elk hunt with a brake in Idaho. I never remember any recoil hunting :)

I never see the impact. I think it is a symptom similar to Bat Blindness. When I played little league, I couldn't play catcher because I blinked when the batter swung the bat. I think I blink when the gun goes off. Could be related to my only having one good eye. My body is trying to protect it.

This is exactly what I was going to post. Thank you.

GC - get an inexpensive cell phone tripod adapter and record yourself shooting from various angles. It's likely you will discover some areas of foundation building that need attention. I know I have for myself. I think sometimes we focus too much on group sizes and not enough on the effects shooting fundamentals can have on consistency, especially with field shooting. Good luck.

Bob

Last edited:
I have been thinking about a brake. That's how I got here. I figured this was my last stop before buying a brake. I've been looking into a Witt's clamp on brake. I'm just not sure I want the extra decibels. I'm already half deaf, sorta...

I usually shoot with the zoom set between 6 and 10 power depending on range to the target. I try to keep is so that I have just enough zoom to clearly see the target, but keep enough field of view to see the surrounding area. You know in keeping with cardinal rule number 4.

I thought of using a strap from a belt loop to the bipod like some guys favor for shooting off of tripods. Maybe I'll try that.

The attached pic is 3 shots on a 12 inch steel plate at 400yd. This is fairly typical of the accuracy I'm getting. Just can't spot as they hit. Maybe its much ado about nothing but if I were to hunt out west I sure would feel better about being able to spot the hits.
I have a Witt clamp on break on my Browning A-bolt 7mm magnum, and it made a world of difference on the recoil, and tightening my groups. The photo got turned ehen I snapped the picture, but the bottom left, which is actually the bottom right, is a ,431 5 shot group at 110 yrds, during load development. That rifle has never shot that accurate.

Attachments

• 20200314_115117.jpg
    20200314_115117.jpg
    566.4 KB · Views: 33
Wow, lots of great suggestions.

I'm using a Harris sbrm notched bipod 6-9". the tilt mechanism on it is a bit of a bear to tighten down for leveling if I were to adjust the legs to different length. I'll give it a whirl though.

I actually shoot a bunch of .22lr for practice. I do positional shooting out to 100m. It just happens that the drift and drop of that .22lr is a 1:4 scale of my .308 win. so I use same elevation adjustment on .22 at 100m as my .308 at 400m. this way I can practice LR without always going to the big range.

At the risk of sounding like a smartypants, how are you able to calculate the amount of pressure on the firing hand? If I could actually get it that consistent every time that would be great! I'm just not sure how I would measure that.

Realistically, my hunting ranges don't extend that far. I could probably do 90% or more of my hunting with my 30/30 easily enough. I'm just chasing that next level of performance. And on the occasion I can shoot on the 1200 yd KD range I'd like to be one of the guys who at least looks like he knows what he's doing.

I've been reading the forums here for years. I've finally decided to ask a question that I don't remember seeing previously.

I've been having a hard time spotting shots from my .308win. Its a varmint profile factory barrel and mounted in a B&C stock with the aluminum block bedding. Its topped with a Vortex Razor HD Gen 2, 3-18x50. I have printed some really good groups with military Mk316 Mod 0 ammo. I have access to a big range in eastern NC and shoot to 800 whenever I get a chance.

My problem is spotting my shots. I know I have pressure on the bipods. I check NPA, inhale, close eyes, exhale, open eyes still on target. I believe I'm square behind the rifle but obviously I can't see myself to confirm.

My question is: Is it possible to overload the bipod? Could I be putting too much pressure on it causing it to slip under recoil? Shooting surfaces vary, sometimes its gravel, sometimes grass some times rooftops.( like I said its a big facility), today was in my pasture with real tall grass.

My accuracy seems fine. I was shooting a 4" steel plate today at 350m. I could see the target swinging after the hit but can never seem to watch the impact.

Let it rip fellas, I got thick skin, and thanks.
USE a Paper target not steel, easier to see your shot placement. hitting a 4" target is not accurate it's only close. whit that scope and I will assume Heavy barrel you should be 2" max group at 800 yards if you are loading your own. if you are shooting factory ammo who knows where you will hit

I shoot a 15 lb 308 with a TBAC ultra 7 and I still have to use good technique to spot my impacts. Obviously you need to get square behind the rifle to control the recoil. Make sure the bipod feet are on soft ground. Loading the bipod helps a little but pulling the rifle into your shoulder firmly with your bicep while keeping your shoulder relaxed is key. You don't want the rifle recoiling off anything firm, like your collar bone or tense muscle. Good shooting btw.

I too put a Whitt clamp-on brake on my savage 300 wm. It made a big difference for me. It changed my poi so much so that I leave it on for hunting too. As with any shooting sport good ear protection is a must. I'm still toying with the idea of one for my 22-250 because I like the Whitt brake so much.

USE a Paper target not steel, easier to see your shot placement. hitting a 4" target is not accurate it's only close. whit that scope and I will assume Heavy barrel you should be 2" max group at 800 yards if you are loading your own. if you are shooting factory ammo who knows where you will hit

I get for most folks on here ~moa is at the bottom end of accuracy, but for now the rifle shoots better than I do. I shoot paper for practice quite often. That day I just wanted to practice cold bore first round hits. So I pulled up to the spot where I shoot in the pasture and first poke of the day was at that 4" steel. I figure that's good practice so I know just where my first shot capability is. The way I see it that's the shot that counts anyway.

Like Bob said above I don't want to get too twisted around the axle about group size, but I do owe it to animals to make sure I get a good first round hit. Fortunately vital zones at my hunting ranges are a good bit bigger than MOA.

I've been reading the forums here for years. I've finally decided to ask a question that I don't remember seeing previously.

I've been having a hard time spotting shots from my .308win. Its a varmint profile factory barrel and mounted in a B&C stock with the aluminum block bedding. Its topped with a Vortex Razor HD Gen 2, 3-18x50. I have printed some really good groups with military Mk316 Mod 0 ammo. I have access to a big range in eastern NC and shoot to 800 whenever I get a chance.

My problem is spotting my shots. I know I have pressure on the bipods. I check NPA, inhale, close eyes, exhale, open eyes still on target. I believe I'm square behind the rifle but obviously I can't see myself to confirm.

My question is: Is it possible to overload the bipod? Could I be putting too much pressure on it causing it to slip under recoil? Shooting surfaces vary, sometimes its gravel, sometimes grass some times rooftops.( like I said its a big facility), today was in my pasture with real tall grass.

My accuracy seems fine. I was shooting a 4" steel plate today at 350m. I could see the target swinging after the hit but can never seem to watch the impact.

Let it rip fellas, I got thick skin, and thanks.
Metal, maybe?

The only solution I have been able to come up with is using a phonescope on my spotting scope and recording the shots then reviewing it after the shot. A major PIA but the only way to use high power to see the heavyweight 7 mag bullets impact at 500+ Yards. We have concrete shooting benches and I secure my spotting scope on a pipe clamp so it truly is rock solid for video work.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.