New guy here wth a 7mm question

Elkwonder

Ok guys here is the delima....I m wanting to build a long range elk gun and think I want it to be 7mm. I know I want to shoot burger 168grain vld's because of their BC. Right now I am shooting a sako geywolf 270wsm. SOOOO Should I rebarrel the sako 270 wsm to a 7mm wsm, or just trade it for a sendero 7mm mag. Next question.... Berger says 10 inch twist for the 168, and sendero says its 9 and 1/4. Is this a problem? Thanks Bill

I am mainly wanting to know which lends itself to be a better dependable longrange platform. If I didnt already have the sako, I would just order the sendero in 7mm mag. However, since I do have the sako, I hate to part with it. I thought I may just be better off to have it rebarreled in 7wsm. What do you guys think? What would you do?

Get the Sendero in 7mm or 300wm and use 168 vlds or 190-210vlds in the 300, 7mm wsm in my opinion cannot even live upto a plain ole 7mm mag! They also offer that in 264wm which hits pretty hard down range with 140 accubonds or vlds. 140 vlds bc is .612 almost as high as the 210 in 30 cal and almost identical to the 168 7mm!

Backwoods, I think you may be on to something. I mainly hunt whitetails and muleys, every now and then elk. I think that 264 mag, might be the ticket. I love the 140 grainers, cause I can shoot a lot more of them before my shoulder starts to hurt. Do youhave much experience with this round?
That 264 mag, pushing the 140's with that high of a bc, would have to be one of the flattest shooting beanfield rounds I could find.

yes, it is an awesome round, just a little more potent than the current 6.5x284 I have. The Sendero comes with a 9 twist, berger says they should be run through an 8 twist at around 2950 to get the right rpm, but you can do the same by running them 3200-3250 in a 9 twist. Your powder selection is also quite large anything from Imr 4350 to H1000, but most settle with RE 22 or 25 for the consistency, and to keep pressures down. With that load, if the accuracy is there you will have almost 1900fps and 1100ftlbs left at 1000yrds plenty of speed for exspansion. Also 130 swift is not far behind, and is a good bonded bullet.

Just notced the twist rate thing. If it isnt one thing, its another!! I am really liking the idea of the 264 mag, but this twist rate thing isnt doing it for me. I called berger, but their tech guys were busy. Hopefully they call me back tonight, I have the itch. I wonder why remington ha a 9 twist rate on this gun.
Are you sure I can run them that fast without running into pressure problems? Isnt that runing them a little hot?

Its a little warm but can be done with reloder 25 without pressure, the reason for the factory 9 twist is for all of your standard hunting bullets from 100 grn nbt to 140 npt they stabilize easier, 139 lapuas, 140 bergers, and 142 smk's were made to go slower through an 8 twist to get your 3-5" 1k groups. I don't think you need 1/8 moa to shoot bean fields, 1/4-1/2 moa is good enough.

Last edited:
Elkwonde before you think about changing calibers, look at the the 169.5 wildcats for your 270 wsm. I think you'll find it will beat most of the things you, are looking at switching to. It has a BC of around .7

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.