New guy/new build

Buck3

Hello.
I've been a lurker for years, but never joined.

Now I have a question with my build. It's going to be next years deer rifle, and something to teach my son to shoot. I have pretty much settled on GAP putting it together for me and will be shipping them the parts next week sometime.

The parts list:
Stiller Tac 30
Bartlein fluted #3 in .243
Jewell trigger
Bdl bottom metal

I am going to order a EH1a manners stock in the Elite clear web finish and like the contrast between the black stock and a bead blasted stainless.

So is there any reason to Cerakote the barrel? The action is already coated black.

Also I'm leaning towards 24" but still considering going 22" since it will wear a can.
Any input on bbl length?

Thanks

Welcome to the forum!
It sounds like you have a good start with parts and builder. If it is pretty much a carry style deer rifle, the 22" would be fine and would not be overly lengthy with a can if your son will be learning with it. You will only lose around 45' of velocity with 2" less barrel. If it is a stainless barrel, protection is not a concern so cerakote would be more a matter of color coordination. Good luck with your build.....Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.