New Fun Gun

REDVANES

LRH Sponsor
Just got this SPS 17Fireball in yesterday. For some reason I've always been infatuated with the little round. Quickly changed the stock out to a HS ADL but I'm not a fan of the ADL so I've got a BDL on the way for the time being until my Manners comes in.

Just went out for a quick shooting session on my lunch break to get it dialed in and my quick load work up is shooting great considering I was rushing to get back. Happy to have a 17FB in the arsenal again.

Now to go get a cat with it!

IMG_5939.jpeg

Ok, so bought a donor 223 rifle as gb and local the 17 centerfires go for enough I can do a stock and barrel put on for less. Big question has been, 17 fb vs 17 rem vs say a 17kak.

17 fb probably enough but seem to find components for the rem easier and the kak even more so. Is the fb the perfect balance, or if you were starting from scratch would you go the another way?

Ok, so bought a donor 223 rifle as gb and local the 17 centerfires go for enough I can do a stock and barrel put on for less. Big question has been, 17 fb vs 17 rem vs say a 17kak.

17 fb probably enough but seem to find components for the rem easier and the kak even more so. Is the fb the perfect balance, or if you were starting from scratch would you go the another way?
I'd definitely go 17Rem.

17FB needs the special fireball bolt that has the rotated ejector for it to eject properly. Also a spacer in the mag box with a special spring and follower. The 17FB is kind of a pain in the butt but I'm a glutton for punishment.

17 Remington it is then, I need to put a small Centerfire can away so it's quiet as well.

Their bullet you like to start with for these bigger bore 17s?

17 Remington it is then, I need to put a small Centerfire can away so it's quiet as well.

Their bullet you like to start with for these bigger bore 17s?
Berger 30 grain, Kindler Golds 30 Grain or Nagel 30 grain... but good luck finding them, I don't believe they're made anymore but once in a while they pop up in the classifieds. I would look hard at the Black Hole Bullets 30grain HPs. A little pricier but that's about all you're going to find for 30gr 17 projectiles.

25gr Hornady HPs are pretty good (that's what I'm using in the Fireball) but I think they're discontinued as well... although a "WTB" add in the classifieds would probably get you some from a fella that's got them laying on their reloading bench not being used.

Have black hole bullets inbound and a dusty box or two of bergers, should get me through load workup and a few hunts if I'm conservative.

Sub calibers appear to be on a downward cycle, or at least they get de prioritized in shortages. Been a tough time to jump in.

Have black hole bullets inbound and a dusty box or two of bergers, should get me through load workup and a few hunts if I'm conservative.

Sub calibers appear to be on a downward cycle, or at least they get de prioritized in shortages. Been a tough time to jump in.
awesome on the BHB! Let me know how they do for you. If good, I'd stock up

I've seen a few guys using the 17 cal hammer bullets and they've had good luck with them. 21 grain is the heaviest they make but might be worth a look