New elk rifle 340 Weatherby

Well been shooting the new 340 for last 2 days. 100 yds with the spier points were usually under 1". Then it struck....opened way the hell up. Checked action screws, back one was loose. I am thinking about lock tite, red or blue ? Anyway shooting nice 6-8" groups at 200 now. Think I may know why previous owner sold it. This is off a led sled too. Too bad gun fits me great. Any suggestions ????
I had a similar experience. I was shooting a two inch group at 300 yards. Came back the next day and was all over the paper. Six, eight or even more inches off center. All screws were tight, action screws, scope base screws ,scope ring screws, everything was as it should be. The scope was working flawlessly. Shooting from the same platform as the prior day. I was ready to pull my hair out. Now, don't laugh at me but a friend recommended a very thorough cleaning of the barrel which might get me back on target. That was just the ticket. Right back on target. These large calibers burn an incredible amount of powder and leave a corresponding amount of residue. Clean the hell out of that barrel and give it another try. I know that a barrel should be cleaned after every use but one time or another we've all been guilty of just wiping the gun down and putting it back in the safe. Can be easy to lose track of rounds fired over time.

well, I hate to say it. I have given up on that gun. Ive tried everything, new scope......which I thought was the prob. Wipe out, Butch's, everything. Unfortunately I think it's plagued with the same problem as the last 3 MK V Iv'e had. Not very good shooters. I have had 4 Weatherby vangaurds that shoot lights out. MK V .....not so much. I am going back to my M70 in 7mm STW, I hope the 9 1/2 # don't kill me carrying it all day.

Have you tried skim bedding the gun? Some Mark V's that were produced in some years or one specific year had an issue with the tolerances for the stocks being off. In other words the max tolerance range for the receiver in one direction and the opposite tolerance range in the other direction. This make for a poor fit and allowed the action to slide and move in stock. I would suggest bedding it prior to sticking it in the trash can.

Ive shot game with a 340 for about 35 years.My son uses it now.I shot a bull at heavy quarter and went in just past hind and bullet stopped in front hide near neck 225 partition 200 yrd type shot.Shot a ton of stuff with that rifle,son is whacking away with it also,has a Lone wolf stock on it now.

I hunted with an outfitter in Colorado and two guys from Texas came with 340 Weatherby Accumarks. They both shot bulls and both were DRT, scopes were Leica's. They were shooting 225 Partitions if I recall. Don't remember if they were braked or not. I've shot a bunch of elk and mule deer with with a 300 Weatherby shooting 180 grain Partitions and it crushes elk and deer. I imagine the 340 does the same only better!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.