New DIY lightweight stock

I spose I can probably skip ahead a little bit now, got a few new bits back - shortened barrel, DPT, fluted bolt and unnecessarily expensive trigger guard.
I ended up rushing the last bit of sanding on the epoxy, but I'm confident I can re-finish it pretty well.

lmtop.jpg

I've already got a big long list of stuff I want to change for the 3rd prototype;
- re-design the comb for a bit more fatness, and the proper clearance for the bolt
- recess the trigger guard properly, and just buy a Remington aluminium one (or similar) rather than get one CNC'd in China :x_x:
- flatter forend for better sitting on a bag or harris-style bipod
- skinnier grip (particularly at the very bottom
- figure something out for grip... not super keen on going down the path of chequering, but I'll see.
- better channel forming around the barrel, and less ridiculous structure in the forend (sling stud reinforcing)
- design the swivel sling studs into the stock, rather than add them later

A whole bunch more stuff will no doubt shake out as I use it some more, but for now I'm very happy with how it handles :)

Once again great job. I might have missed it but what's the little, white symbol on your stock grip? Thanks for sharing!

I started with modelling up the action I had, then converted this into a cutting volume - a digital plug I could subtract from any stock design to fit the howa metal:
actioncutter-1024x416.jpg

This keeps the stock design separate from the action, and means I can tweak the action cutter throughout the prototyping without affecting the stock, and vice-versa. It also means I can theoretically make up another for a different action, and drop it into the same stock design.

This is the oldest concept I can find:
cncconstructionps-1024x512.png

The important bit of this design was to split the stock in half. I originally looked at carbon fibre, but rapidly ruled it out due to it being a massive dick to work with, and difficult (and expensive) to make progressive changes.

Splitting the stock in half, has a couple of huge advantages:
  1. The inletting can be machined in one hit from the inside
  2. It can be hollowed out, and made significantly lighter

I dropped the idea of the carbon fibre foreend pretty quick, but the idea was that it could be a single cavity mold.
---------------- Any chance you could share those 3d models with me.(preferably if you have them in an stl format or something that i can make work of) Im looking at using a cnc to build a chassis from scratch, your inlet and cutting marks would be extremely helpful. My email is [email protected]

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.