New custom...when to start load development?

30-378shtr

My new 300PRC from Owens Armory should be done in the next two months...so when you guys get a new rifle, when do you begin load workup? Especially considering velocity increases during first 70-120 rounds of a new barrel....would load testing (ladder test, OCW, seating depth) be of any value during these first 100 rounds or so?

Or do you usually just shoot 100 rounds of factory ammo and then start working up custom loads???

I'll offer the following info to address your 70-120 rnd. "New barrel speed up"only question.
I'm not recommending this as any specific break in process. That's a different topic.

you could try the following:

1) Shoot 100 factory rounds, (you may see a wider or erratic velocity increase with poor quality factory ammo.) don't worry about accuracy too much at this point. Focus on Velocity. Document each shot.
Or load up 100 starting loads with Preferred Brass or Quality Custom ammo to form. Take your time Here. Chronograph is helpful if you have one, to watch velocities increase, look for a leveling out around the 100 count, may require more or less.
Do preferred break in / cleaning method,
(If you so choose.)
get familiar with the new rifle, make some scope adjustments, check that everything is snug. Then on to Load Development.

2) Do preferred break in / cleaning method,
(If you so choose.)
start load development right out of the gate, and address any bbl
Speed up issues as you go, by tweaking your loads as you go (aka chasing your tail), until you see speeds Stabilize,
If your barrel doesn't speed up early on,
Then you can continue with development.
In either case be mindful of odd changes.

You may find you end up at the same point at the end of either proactive or reactive process.
I wouldn't consider either as
"wasting bbl life" but simply identifying & addressing certain variables.
"Useful Load Development".
It may be a good idea to periodically
Check where your velocity is running.
make necessary adjustments.

( IF a barrel speeds up 100+ FPS you'll have to address it somehow at some point )

here's a sample chart of my 6.5 velocity
1st 80 factory rounds thru.
6F34EB43-FA48-47EC-8F25-953112F9CC89.jpeg

Here's some more info:

Hope this helps, & enjoy. YRMV. 🙂

Last edited:
If it is a TOP quality bbl, bore scope it. Looks good, start now. Don't buy into break in BS, just helps bbl makers get you back sooner for a new one.

You may see a slight velocity increase but an accurate load is an accurate load.

My R1 with a super smooth cyro bbl shot as good from day one as it does now 150 rounds later.

My 338 RUM 3 groove nitrided bbl shot 1/2 moa from day one and still does with the same loads.

Funny how no one every heard of "barrel break in" back in the old days of 1000 yard matches when barrels were rougher. The same technology that build new cars that need no breakin, builds barrels.

What Gale McMillan said about breakin back in 1997. I contend he knew far more about barrels than any of us and that barrels have only gotten better since then !

"This is total hogwash! It all got started when a barrel maker that I
know started putting break in instructions in the box with each barrel
he shipped a few years ago. I asked him how he figured it would help
and his reply was If they shoot 100 rounds breaking in this barrel
that's total life is 3000 rounds and I make 1000 barrels a year just
figure how many more barrels I will get to make. He had a point it
defiantly will shorten the barrel life. I have been a barrel maker a
fair amount of time and my barrels have set and reset bench rest world
records so many times I quit keeping track (at one time they held 7 at
one time) along with HighPower,Silloett,smallbore national and world
records and my instructions were to clean as often as posable preferably
every 10 rounds. I inspect every barrel taken off and every new barrel
before it is shipped with a bore scope and I will tell you all that I
see far more barrels ruined by cleaning rods than I see worn out from
normal wear and tear.I am even reading about people recommending
breaking in pistols. As if it will help their shooting ability or the
guns.
Gale Mc."

My new 300PRC from Owens Armory should be done in the next two months...so when you guys get a new rifle, when do you begin load workup? Especially considering velocity increases during first 70-120 rounds of a new barrel....would load testing (ladder test, OCW, seating depth) be of any value during these first 100 rounds or so?

Or do you usually just shoot 100 rounds of factory ammo and then start working up custom loads???
if its built with quality and sharp tooling run it!!
do your ladder and if you want to do a cleaning regiment then do it and stick with it. but for the most part shoot the thing!!

If it is a TOP quality bbl, bore scope it. Looks good, start now. Don't buy into break in BS, just helps bbl makers get you back sooner for a new one.

You may see a slight velocity increase but an accurate load is an accurate load.

My R1 with a super smooth cyro bbl shot as good from day one as it does now 150 rounds later.

My 338 RUM 3 groove nitrided bbl shot 1/2 moa from day one and still does with the same loads.

Funny how no one every heard of "barrel break in" back in the old days of 1000 yard matches when barrels were rougher. The same technology that build new cars that need no breakin, builds barrels.

What Gale McMillan said about breakin back in 1997. I contend he knew far more about barrels than any of us and that barrels have only gotten better since then !

"This is total hogwash! It all got started when a barrel maker that I
know started putting break in instructions in the box with each barrel
he shipped a few years ago. I asked him how he figured it would help
and his reply was If they shoot 100 rounds breaking in this barrel
that's total life is 3000 rounds and I make 1000 barrels a year just
figure how many more barrels I will get to make. He had a point it
defiantly will shorten the barrel life. I have been a barrel maker a
fair amount of time and my barrels have set and reset bench rest world
records so many times I quit keeping track (at one time they held 7 at
one time) along with HighPower,Silloett,smallbore national and world
records and my instructions were to clean as often as posable preferably
every 10 rounds. I inspect every barrel taken off and every new barrel
before it is shipped with a bore scope and I will tell you all that I
see far more barrels ruined by cleaning rods than I see worn out from
normal wear and tear.I am even reading about people recommending
breaking in pistols. As if it will help their shooting ability or the
guns.
Gale Mc."

I partially agree with you.....many quality barrel makers agree than top end barrels don't need "break in" or even to be cleaned that often. However, I was more referring to the velocity increase almost every barrel will experience. This particular barrel is a Proof CF. Many people report as much as 130-150fps increase with a new barrel

Not to be contrary, but I believe Gale before "many people". Find it hard to believe a 300 WinMag could go from say, 2900 fps to 3150 with the exact same ammo after 40 odd rounds.

I clean and shoot a few rounds, BUT IN early life every round is logged, and built like a match round. typically see some small changes after the first firing of new brass. do not waste bbl life on a poor plan. simple ladder. 3 shot then 5 shot evals and proofs. next

Never heard of 100 rounds to break in a rifle, IF your doing it max of 30.

This from a custom barrel maker-

I don't have alot of experience, but I've had factory barrels that shot well right out of the box. Filthy due to rough barrel, but accurate none the less. Unless fire forming is required, I may be inclined to start documenting data immediately. If velocity changes, it ought to be a simple matter of load tweaking to get it back in order as well as drop data. My new 243ai is shooting 15fps ES and 6 SD with fire forming loads. Can't speak for group size as I haven't had a calm day (15-25 mph crosswinds) so most shots are touching but in a line. lol

Your not breaking in the barrel per say. Your fire lapping the throat. I shoot a couple 1 round and clean then maybe 2 rounds a couple times depending on the blue I see.
I see a noticeable difference after as early as 5 rounds to as much as 15 depends on how rough the throat is.
Let the barrel tell you.

Never heard of 100 rounds to break in a rifle, IF your doing it max of 30.

This from a custom barrel maker-

Agreed! On factory rifles, I normally do a couple of boxes, but that includes sighting-in and just having fun shooting, esp. when I am just after the brass. For custom, it is basically the same ... just having fun shooting the new toy.

Barrel makers do NOT make barrel break-in mandatory (at least I have NOT seen one yet) but simply make recommendations. What one does with it is another story. No difference from how one cleans their rifle barrels. However, there is more damage to improper cleaning/maintenance than not cleaning at all, except for rust. 😇

deer-eats-popcorn_64.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.