New Custom Rifle

Good Evening All. This will be my 5th year in S.D. prairie dog hunting and trying out a new custom rifle. While this rifle is likely beyond my capabilities I've always wanted one custom rifle and I had this one built by the legendary Don Geraci. He lives just 45 minutes from my house. The gun is chambered in 300 Win Mag: Manners stock, Bartlein barrel, Defiance action, and Timney Calvin Elite trigger. I have someone building me custom rounds and appreciate any recommendations on powders and recommended loads. I'm looking at 1000-1500 yard range. I appreciate any feedback anyone has to offer.

Regards - Victor Culpepper

You sure you have enough gun for those prairie dogs? :)
Sounds like a fine rig. Good luck with your build

You sure you have enough gun for those prairie dogs? :)
Sounds like a fine rig. Good luck with your build
I was thinking the same thing.

I then remembered I used to shoot them with my first 7mm RM as a kid growing up in the Texas Panhandle.

You won't shoot as many with one in a day's time on average as you will with a .204 Ruger but you'll hit a lot more of them on windy days.

I was thinking the same thing.

I then remembered I used to shoot them with my first 7mm RM as a kid growing up in the Texas Panhandle.

You won't shoot as many with one in a day's time on average as you will with a .204 Ruger but you'll hit a lot more of them on windy days.

Its not the only gun I take nor the primary one. I'm just trying this one out at the +/-1500 yd range which cannot reasonably be done with a 223 or 22-250, both of which I'll be mainly shooting.

Thank you for the info and welcome JJ!! Just signed up yesterday; however, I'm already impressed with the website and knowledge of the members. Please excuse my ignorance - you mentioned Broz which I'm not familiar with. Can you elaborate a little more please?

Welcome to LRH and enjoy! I agree with JJMoody, you have yourself an excellent chambering. Despite other chamberings I have, the .300 WM remains my go to chambering for antelope to elk size game up 1K yards. Here's one of many thread that JJMoody is referring to about Jeff (BROZ) >>> https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/comparing-the-berger-210-vld-to-the-215-hybrid.88657/

Cheers!

Ed

Good Evening All. This will be my 5th year in S.D. prairie dog hunting and trying out a new custom rifle. While this rifle is likely beyond my capabilities I've always wanted one custom rifle and I had this one built by the legendary Don Geraci. He lives just 45 minutes from my house. The gun is chambered in 300 Win Mag: Manners stock, Bartlein barrel, Defiance action, and Timney Calvin Elite trigger. I have someone building me custom rounds and appreciate any recommendations on powders and recommended loads. I'm looking at 1000-1500 yard range. I appreciate any feedback anyone has to offer.

Regards - Victor Culpepper
Nice rifle Victor.
I can remember competing with Don Geraci in short range bench rest matches back in the 70's. He was a tough competitor back in the day.

Larry Isenhour

All:
I sincerely appreciate all of the feedback, which has helped tremendously. It is obvious everyone involved in long range shooting HAS to see what works best in their particular rifle. But the expertise and friendly feedback is simply amazing to me. I have little time to continue testing (leave on 25th). To recap, I have Norma brass, Hornady F215 primers and 225gr ELDM bullets. Norma MPR, H1000, and Rotumbo poweders yielded 1" MOA at best. RL22 appears to be the load I'll be taking. The 2 pics are with RL22 at 100 yds. First is 71gr, the 2nd is 70.5gr. For now that's what I'm going with.

Larry, did you also compete with a gentleman named Alvin Badeaux (NRA President 1953-55)? I have a custom 22lr he use to shoot with, only 14 made by Raymond Sargent. Acquired it from Don and trying to get more history on it.
RL22-70.5gr.jpg
RL22-71gr.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.