New Custom 280AI Range Report.

BriKW

Finally got around to shooting my custom 280AI built by Eddie Fosnaugh, and I'm pleased to say that this rifle is accurate as hell. Eddie builds one heck of a rifle.

I'm working up a load using RL26 and the Nosler 150gn ABLR. I'm using Nosler Brass, and Fed 210 primers. COAL set to 3.340

Starting load was 58.5gn of RL26 with a muzzle velocity 2790 fps. Group size was 1.000 even steven.

Next load was 59.0gn of RL26 with a muzzle velocity of 2874 fps. Group size shrank to .490 getting better.

Next two groups I had called fliers because I was getting careless with the way I was preloading the bipod. Muzzle hopped on me causing one shot to go vertical. But I was still under an inch on both groups.

59.5gn of RL26 had a muzzle velocity of 2910 and a group size of .742, and 60.0gn had a muzzle velocity of 2942 with a group size of

Once I corrected my hold and started paying more attention to the way I was preloading the bipod, I shot my best group of the day.

60.5gn RL26 muzzle velocity of 3013 fps. Group size of .145 I think I found my hunting load. Development over.

The last group of the day open back to .372. It was 61gn RL26 with a velocity of 3043 fps.

I think I will load 10 rounds of the 60.5gn of RL26 to confirm it's my best load, and possibly try 62gns. If accuracy remains stable, perhaps I can fiddle with the seating depth and tune it in more, if not I'm quiet happy being at 3013 fps.

Eddie Fosnaugh isn't only one heck of a coater, but he can build one hell of an accurate rifle as well.

Not bad for the first day out.

Last edited:
Nice rifle. Looks like it's a shooter, too.

This might be a dumb question, but what is the blue electronic device sitting on the bench in front of the ammo box? Is that for the chrono or one of those target cam things?

Nice rifle. Looks like it's a shooter, too.

This might be a dumb question, but what is the blue electronic device sitting on the bench in front of the ammo box? Is that for the chrono or one of those target cam things?

It's a CED M2 chronograph display screen. That way when a knuckle head (me) shoots it, and I came close yesterday with the winds being what they were. I'll only have to replace the damaged piece and not the whole chrony.

I like it better than my last one, but I'm thinking of upgrading to the labradar.

...That way when a knuckle head (me) shoots it, and I came close yesterday with the winds being what they were. I'll only have to replace the damaged piece and not the whole chrony.

:D Good thinking, I've shot two chronographs so far. :rolleyes:

Looks like an awesome rig! Nice shooting...

:D Good thinking, I've shot two chronographs so far. :rolleyes:

Looks like an awesome rig! Nice shooting...

Thanks, had a blast. It's easy to have fun when you're behind the trigger of an accurate rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.