New conundrum hunting and paper

tackleberry45

I am trying to find the best of both worlds here. I have a new 700 SPS Varmint in .308 with the 26" barrel (Remington SKU 84229). Love it, although it is currently at Remington as part of the massive recall. The goal is hunting to say 300 - 400M and punching paper to 500M or so. I am just learning so I am trying to not to have to go with two rifles one for paper and one for putting food in the freezer. Optics are all over the place from a Bushnell to a OMG expensive Schmidt and Bender. Assistance would be appreciated in where I really need to spend dollars. It only has one box of CoreLokt through it before I got the recall notice so I am not sure of the current accuracy potential (borrowed a Redfield 3 - 9 scope). I have scanned/ searched a lot of posts and this seems to be a good base rifle platform to build from. So given the above....

1. A good bedding job?
2. Blueprinting?
3. Good optic recommendation that will not create a new mortgage
4. Any suggestions welcome

-thanks!

Bedding absolutely. Every rifle should be properly bedded to stabilize vibration characteristics. Blueprinting- nah. Unless the rifle had serious flaws during manufacture, you'll spend more than you'll gain. Now a replacement trigger, on the other hand, can be an excellent investment, especially if the factory trigger doesn't adjust down to say 1.5 pounds and behave itself at that pull weight (always do the drop test and slam the bolt vigorously to check for a tendency to unintended firing). As for optics, Vortex Vipers are very good for a modest price (the HSLR line, and I prefer the FFP model). Don't forget the feed: run heavy for caliber VLDs or AMAXs to carry that energy downrange and resist the wind better. Your long barrel and some slower powder should give you good velocity from one of the more versatile "standard" cartridges.

1. A good bedding job?
Yep, you betcha. And make sure the barrel is free floated. Not just enough to pass a folded dollar bill under the barrel to the recoil lug, but enough so that there obvious unrestricted space for a couple of stacked 3x5 cards to pass and no contact between the stock and barrel when you grab the fore-end and squeeze the barrel and stock together. Synthetic stocks are notorious for having too much movement and their first two shots may Wow you but the third will have you cussing.
I'm sorry to learn that you sent your rifle back to Remington on the recall. I'd have recommended tossing the trigger (the reason for the recall) in the garbage and replacing it with a Timney. It's not too late. When the rifle comes back the trigger should be fixed so that it's safe and you can sell it for a few bucks to offset the cost of the Timney.
2. Blueprinting?
No - your SPS is good enough right out of the box.
3. Good optic recommendation that will not create a new mortgage
If you want to spend big, Smith & Bender, NightForce, Viper, are good choices. If you want to get very good quality without sticker shock you might want to look at Leupold and Zeiss. I'd recommend MOA reticles and to stay away from MilDot reticles. Quigley-Ford has a pretty good scope at a good price but stay away from the Load/Caliber specific features unless you intend to use the same load for the rest of your life. http://www.vantagepoint-outfitters.com/brands/Quigley%2dFord.html Buy a range finder instead. Be sure to bed the scope rail to the receiver.
If you wanted a cross over rifle to shoot LR target and to hunt, you couldn't have made a better choice. Your .308 will do it all.
At some point you may want to replace the standard issue stock for something that is stiffer and better handling. But that shouldn't be necessary at this early stage.
Good hunting ............... gun)

Unfortunately from the remington reps ive talked to through my job you are looking at anywhere from 6 months to a year before your gun might be retuned id recommend if you want to hunt during that time buying a savage or a tikka they will both perform exceptionally better and will out perform factory remingtons everyday of the week. Both are very capable of punching paper and animals I have a tikka t3 superlight in 308 and the groups I'm getting from my handloads are amazing for a factory gun.

This is simply my two cents coming from a person who sells a lot of firearms and receiving feedback from my customer base.

I agree with the other guys on bedding the gun

optics id recommend vortex you wont break the bank and you get the best warranty in the business.

Dump the stock and upgrade the trigger. I have a SPS varmint in .223 and the factory stock is super flimsy and I noticed a considerable difference when I swapped out for a different stock w/ aluminum bedding and free floated the barrel.

I wouldn't waste any time bedding the rifle until you put it in a new stock.

I never liked the x mark trigger but i used it for a good while so i can say it works fine.

I wouldn't consider blueprinting unless the fore mentioned topics were covered and the gun still just wont shoot. If i were to blueprint a remington i sure wouldnt put the factory barrel back on.

Pretty much any ammo will work for paper to 500m so i would focus on using a bullet that performs reliably on game that you can trust and learn to use effectively.
If you reload there are many more options available and a greater potential for accuracy as well.

Optics in my opinion is the most important part of a precision rifle. This is where my money is always focused. There are many good options out there and everything that was recommended so far is a good choice. Im a nightforce fan and ive never regretted buying one.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts