Conundrum

mcharger440

Ok guys I'm having a really hard time deciding on my next rifle build I shot a weatherby mk v action and want to use it or an xbolt for the short throw I like a heavy gun so weight is at the bottom of the list (carried a 338 lapua weighing 17.1lbs elk hunting) I want ultra long-range ability not that I would ever take an animal at a ridiculous distance but every little bit helps I am absolutely not recoil sensitive and I'm just trying to decide on the cartridge to go with I reload for everything so I'm definitely not afraid of a wildcat but I don't want to go 408 cheytac because of the expense I don't want to take out a second mortgage every time I go shooting I know this question has been asked to death but if you guys have any opinions I'd like to hear and thanks again

why are you wanting factory actions? Badger, defiance, stiller etc...

maybe it's time to look at a modular system, AI, DTA... 338 one minute, 308 the next.

Anyways, good luck, I'm happy to see another fellow not afraid to build a stout rig.

I guess I'm a collector of sorts I want this one then that one then something in between then we all know where that leads...now there is something in between each of them... It's a never ending cycle but I don't have anything between the 300 wby and 50 bmg so that's the niche I'm looking to fill as far as the actions go I just really liked the short throw of those two listed in open to other things in really contemplating something in the 378wby range using a Lehigh 330gr bullet you know long ranging a big bore...

You are not recoil sensitive, but, you are scared as hell of punctuation! :D:D Worlds longest run-on sentence. Throw a period in there once in a while so guys like me who move my lips when I read can take a breath. :D

OK..... as far as your question....some sort of an improved 338 Lapua built on a full on custom action. LOVE MY BAT's!!

You want to be a collector...try collecting BAT's and Stiller's and Surgeon's .....oh my.

Good luck,
Tod

.375s are cool but not many good hunting bullets available. A .338 is what I'd go with. If you want to keep things simple you could build a .338 Lapua on the Mark V action. Dies and brass are everywhere. For a little more velocity you could go Lapua Improved or 338-378. Each of these has it's own little trade-offs for the extra power but they are both good choices for launching 300 grain bullets close to 3000 fps. I have a factory Mark V Accumark in 338-378 and I really like it. Great action, great cartridge. With a decent brake the recoil is very manageable.

30-338 improved what?

30-338 Win improved

30-338 Rum improved

30-338 Lapua improved

30-338 Win: Not exactly an ultra long range round.
30-338 RUM: Why? 300 RUM already exists.
30-338 Lapua: Bingo.

A fast 30 cal isn't a terrible idea. I'd opt for the 30-378 over the Lapua though, especially since a Weatherby action is being considered.

The 30-338 Lapua improved is definitely an awesome round, and a great suggestion. I guess it mostly depends on how much one likes tinkering with wildcats. Hard to argue against its performance since it's right there with the 30-378. If a 30 cal is being considered they are both good choices. I'm a 338 guy when it comes to elk and I'm very happy with my 338-378. Not quite as economical as a Lapua or RUM but I love the big Wby.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.