6.5x284 vs .260 ackley for hunting and paper punching

Skiptom70

I would appreciate some advice regarding a custom build I am considering- a 6.5x284 vs a .260 Ackley Improved. I intend to use the rifle out of a stand for deer hunting and afoot for antelope. Maximum shot length is 300-400 yards. I hand load for all of my rifles and will be doing the same for this build. I anticipate that I wil load 120-140 grain bullets. Any load advice would also be appreciated.

Forgot to mention that I intend to use a Lilja barrel- any recommendations re: bbl length would also be appreciated.

Either will do. It might be more a question of what other rifles you have, or don't have. Is there an open space in your safe that needs filled? Currently I've been craving a .260 with a suppressor. So that's what I'd choose today, tomorrow might be different.

There's always room in my safe for one more! I'm a big Ackley fan I own several 257s, a 250 and a 280 in AI as well as 15-16 other standard calibers.

Ballistically they're almost the same. 400 yards is a chip shot for either, both are capable to a 1000. Do you want a short or long action ?
You could squeeze the 260 in a short but both would be better in a long action to allow a longer seating depth.. I'm shooting a 6.5. Creedmoor with an elite iron supressor it's a dream. Very little recoil. I wouldn't have a problem taking antelope sized critters at 800 or more with 140 bergers. The heavy 6.5's are dam impressive in the BC department.

I vote the the .260 Ackley simply because its my favoite 6.5 cartridge and the fact that brass is easier and cheaper to come by. Also the added benefits of the ackley case with hardley a need to trim and all that. Either cartridge performs at very similar levels so its really boils down to what you want.

Thanks all for the input. I think i will go with the .260 AI with a long action (good advice on the long action to accommodate longer OL cartridges).

Ballistically they're almost the same. 400 yards is a chip shot for either, both are capable to a 1000. Do you want a short or long action ?
You could squeeze the 260 in a short but both would be better in a long action to allow a longer seating depth.. I'm shooting a 6.5. Creedmoor with an elite iron supressor it's a dream. Very little recoil. I wouldn't have a problem taking antelope sized critters at 800 or more with 140 bergers. The heavy 6.5's are dam impressive in the BC department.

Excellent advice! I may take a look at the Creedmoor.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts