New bullet maker that looks interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Steel tips just to impact the copper jacket/lead core or? Figure the deceleration and differential metal hardness/density would make them pretty hard on tissue

Steel tips just to impact the copper jacket/lead core or? Figure the deceleration and differential metal hardness/density would make them pretty hard on tissue

All the steel tips do is initiate expansion and raise b.c. The reason they are now steel is because aluminum is too difficult to keep consistent and is more expensive. The steel tips put approx. 11 grains more weight forward which usually requires more twist to stabilize than the same weight bullet with weight distributed further back. As far as tissue damage goes, the tips will almost always separate right after contact and will most likely be lying in the bottom of the chesk cavity. I have seen many of them do this. Tissue damage from the tip itself is a non issue, but there will be PLENTY of damage resulting from the rapid expansion at high, and mid velocities......rich

Just curious if anyone has any experience with pointing a Berger hunting bullet to achieve a higher BC as compared to a steel tip used to increase BC? How would both or one versus the other improve or hinder expansion of the bullet when impacting tissue on a game animal? Would a pointed hunting Berger also expand but perhaps not as rapid as the steel tip falling off as Rich has noted?

Just curious if anyone has any experience with pointing a Berger hunting bullet to achieve a higher BC as compared to a steel tip used to increase BC? How would both or one versus the other improve or hinder expansion of the bullet when impacting tissue on a game animal? Would a pointed hunting Berger also expand but perhaps not as rapid as the steel tip falling off as Rich has noted?

The bullet pointers will RAISE the b.c., but will LOWER the expansion capability......rich

All the steel tips do is initiate expansion and raise b.c. The reason they are now steel is because aluminum is too difficult to keep consistent and is more expensive. The steel tips put approx. 11 grains more weight forward which usually requires more twist to stabilize than the same weight bullet with weight distributed further back. As far as tissue damage goes, the tips will almost always separate right after contact and will most likely be lying in the bottom of the chesk cavity. I have seen many of them do this. Tissue damage from the tip itself is a non issue, but there will be PLENTY of damage resulting from the rapid expansion at high, and mid velocities......rich

INteresting, Rich do you think a factory Sendero 300 ultra has enough twist to stabilize the 230s.

INteresting, Rich do you think a factory Sendero 300 ultra has enough twist to stabilize the 230s.

230 Berger otm's, yes. 230 w3p steel tips, we'll see? My guess is maybe at altitude, probably not at sea level?.......Rich
This might be a good question for Bryan Litz.

230 Berger otm's, yes. 230 w3p steel tips, we'll see? My guess is maybe at altitude, probably not at sea level?.......Rich

great, thanks, ill be testing these and the 230 berger hybrid targets (not otms) together, so I guess ill find out. Elevations around 6500 ft at the final drop test spot.

yes Rich we have .10 thousandths jackets for what we are running right now......we can do other a thicker jacket if need be but we haven't had any issues with what we are running now.
hope that helps. Sorry we are swamped bud......between you guys and my AR15 guys wanting my new platform and round the .375 Reaper® and getting long range stuff together for Ashbury Precision Ordinance
it's been crazy.

John,

Hey.. I have a question, i was looking at similarity between your and Alco .308 cal 220 gr RBT-ST just to name one weight. Looks pretty close, is there a shared thing here or is it just happenstance. I've not tried either yet but look forward to giving yours a run, something along the line of a 175gr match RB..

Cheer's

John,

Hey.. I have a question, i was looking at similarity between your and Alco .308 cal 220 gr RBT-ST just to name one weight. Looks pretty close, is there a shared thing here or is it just happenstance. I've not tried either yet but look forward to giving yours a run, something along the line of a 175gr match RB..

Cheer's

Looks to be the same stock Corbin dies, holly smokes a 140gr 6.5 with a BC of .687:) https://www.upammosupply.com/node/220

Looks to be the same stock Corbin dies, holly smokes a 140gr 6.5 with a BC of .687:) https://www.upammosupply.com/node/220

Well B.C being what it is, I was actually trying to determine if any advantages could real be found in the rebated bullet(s), besides looking cool. I saw the descriptions Alco used seemed a little like kabuki to me, in some of the way they describe it.

I know that Speer used the same concept back in 1970-74 I used them in my match rifle, they were designed I believe by Lapua or made by them and sold by Speer, and Lapua also sold their own under their name at the time as well. As I recall the Speer's were .30 cal 170gr and 185gr both rebated boattails. The funny thing was they came in .308 cal and .309 cal the B.C on the 170gr was around .630 and the 185gr .700 stated, which as I recall was some what over stated.

Not trying to rain on any ones parade or kick over some ones rice blow here, just looks like it coming around again and I like to figure out where the real advantage is in the new design, beside the cool fact and steal meplat.
I know Lapua still has their rebated bullet in their line up under their name. Speer's was dropped way back do to poor sales I believe, not to mention performance.
Just my thoughts on the subject matter.. Perhaps I don't get it, an explanation is always welcome as to why my think is wrong.
Cheer's

It's a controversial topic for sure. RBT that is. I personally do not see any ballistic or accuracy advantage.
The bonus to the bullet maker is he's not replacing $75.00 punches every time he
chips one & it happens frequently with conventional BT punches.

For most things it's all about the marketing.

The main advantage of the rebated boat tail is for the manufacturer. The punch used for extracting the bullets from the point forming die can be quite a bit thicker on the edge which keeps it from breaking. b.c. is a wash as well as accuracy. There are claims that the rebate acts more like a flat base keeping the pressure equal on the bullet base as it leaves the barrel but that assumes the standard boat tail is flawed..........Rich

Looking at the Alco site and the bullet pics, I feel pretty comfortable in saying that we have some more hoaky bc.'s!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts