New build suggestions

Cruizin

I am thinking of building a 243 with a 18 or 20" barrel. I was wanting this gun for coyotes and antelope so I would like to be able to shoot some of the lighter bullets as well as some of the heavier ones. I'm currently wanting some reloading info. Anyone out there that has some info on 243 and shorter barrels? Powders, bullets used, twist rate and expected velocities would be greatly appreciated.

I am thinking of building a 243 with a 18 or 20" barrel. I was wanting this gun for coyotes and antelope so I would like to be able to shoot some of the lighter bullets as well as some of the heavier ones. I'm currently wanting some reloading info. Anyone out there that has some info on 243 and shorter barrels? Powders, bullets used, twist rate and expected velocities would be greatly appreciated.

Have you thought about a 260 or a 6.5-284 for this new build. You can load 85 gr. Vmax and up to 140 gr. Bergers or any bullet choice in between. Just food for thought. MTG

I already have a 6.5 x 284 in a 17" barrel and I love it. I am looking at 260 as well as the 6.5 x 47. I'm really interested in powders you guys have found that work with the larger bullets and shorter barrels.

So after more research I am leaning towards 243. I am figuring with a 87 vmax (might be a little rough on the coyotes) I should get somewhere around 3000 fps with a 20" barrel. With the 105 gr Amax I should get somewhere around 2800. Does this sound resonable? I'm hoping I can find a load that will like H4350 or H1000 cause I have quite a bit of these powders and other guns use them as well.

Im shooting a 243AI out of 15" barrel. I shoot 41grns H4350 with 55 grn Hornadys. The AI gains about 200 fps and the brass does not stretch as bad.

I have a HS Precision Varmint Pistol in 243Win with a 15in barrel and load 70gr Noslers to 3100fps with IMR 4064. I have taken 46 called coyotes with it and 1 nice 10pt Whitetail. I also have another Varmint Pistol in 6mmBR with a 15in barrel and load 70gr Noslers to 3050fps and have taken 50 called coyotes with it. With lighter weight Varmint bullets there is not much gain with a 243Win in a 15in barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.