Help with a New Build

Cruizin

Ok so I'm trying to figure out what caliber to make. I want something BIG, but I'm building off a short action savage small shank with a detachable magazine. I would like to be able to use the magazine and actually fit the loaded rounds in it.

I would like this for long range elk maybe out to 1k or so. Some thoughts are:

338/300wsm
7mm Dakota

Anybody know the COL that can be used effectively in a savage short action detachable mag?

Ok so I'm trying to figure out what caliber to make. I want something BIG, but I'm building off a short action savage small shank with a detachable magazine. I would like to be able to use the magazine and actually fit the loaded rounds in it.

I would like this for long range elk maybe out to 1k or so. Some thoughts are:

338/300wsm
7mm Dakota

Anybody know the COL that can be used effectively in a savage short action detachable mag?

If I remember correctly, you will be limited to just under 3".

More limiting than the length is the fact that it is small shank. Savage is using the large shank for the WSM size cases.

Get different action! Sell that one and buy large shank. www.savageshooters.com has a forum and several vendors that sell the actions.

BH

Uh oh!!!

I guess I have a 26" Stainless Hart 300wsm and a 28" Stainless Shilen 7mmWSM tomato stakes.

Too bad, they shot really good too.

Anyone want to buy a LH Stainless Savage 112 action and two slightly used tomato stakes?:D:D:D

Just ribbin' ya BH.:):):)

Savage never had problems with the small shanks, even in the RUM's. They just felt that it gave a little more assurance with the thicker barrel.

I have heard of problems with the large shank barrel nuts splitting from hot RUM loads.

For me, I'll stick with a small shank. Even considering ordering a small shank 338 Edge.

The difference between the small and large shank is .030 per side of the chamber. Small shank has almost an entire .25" on each side of the chamber of steel. I too have a 7wsm on the small shank and it works just fine.

What diameter action are other manufactures using for the wsm cases?

Just under 3" huh? Does anyone know what a 7mm Dakota measures with a high bc bullet? Will it be a total waste to push the bullet in that far? I could have the barrel throated to handle the shorter COL. I might just have to build this one off the long action.

Fred says that the short mag boxes are 3.040"

I measured the COL of one of my 300wsm's. It is right at 3" with a 190g VLD seated at the lands.

I shoot my wsm's in a long action.

Here is a pic of my 338/300 WSM (black/silver) and my son's 7 WSM with the Savage target actions. Jim See here on LRH did the work putting the JP and Holland QD brakes on plus other work. ( Jim did a great job )
In believe he has actions in stock.
The stocks are from Neal Cooper with a composite 1" center.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/yotefever/Savages/338300wsm017.jpg
I had heard that the small shank Strikers were having bulging problems that's why they went to a larger shank.

I would not be concerned with the small shank, what I would suggest is to have the barrel fit to the action without the nut. That way your using a full 1.250 dia barrel shank. The thread tennon dia on a small shank is near identical to a remington. 1.055-1.060" and with the savage having a 20 pitch thread there is still more "meat" around the chamber. This negates the weak link which I feel is the nut.

As far as cartiges to feed a short action mag, and reach out to 1000.

Of the 3 wsms, I would choose the 7wsm with a high bc bullet. If you can shoot it really well you should be able to hunt long range.

I would not be concerned with the small shank, what I would suggest is to have the barrel fit to the action without the nut. That way your using a full 1.250 dia barrel shank. The thread tennon dia on a small shank is near identical to a remington. 1.055-1.060" and with the savage having a 20 pitch thread there is still more "meat" around the chamber. This negates the weak link which I feel is the nut.

As far as cartiges to feed a short action mag, and reach out to 1000.

Of the 3 wsms, I would choose the 7wsm with a high bc bullet. If you can shoot it really well you should be able to hunt long range.

He already has the 7mmWSM.

He was asking about feeding the 338/300 in a short action detach mag.

I think I'm going to go with another 7wsm or maybe a 7mm 300wsm, but I already have the dies for the 7wsm and the brass from winchester seems pretty good. We'll see.

One more question. I'm just trying to make sense of this. I had a rem 700 338 edge ai and it had the same barrel dia as a savage small shank 1.0625".

The lock nut on the savagae only stretches the threads so the barrel can't come loose from the action. Savage also uses a finer thread which will allow more thread contact and a little more material compared to the rem action right?

So my question is if a rem aciton is holding up to RUM and even the 338 lapua why can't a savage small shank handle the RUM loads? They both have the same amount of material right?

One more question. I'm just trying to make sense of this. I had a rem 700 338 edge ai and it had the same barrel dia as a savage small shank 1.0625".

The lock nut on the savagae only stretches the threads so the barrel can't come loose from the action. Savage also uses a finer thread which will allow more thread contact and a little more material compared to the rem action right?

So my question is if a rem aciton is holding up to RUM and even the 338 lapua why can't a savage small shank handle the RUM loads? They both have the same amount of material right?

Most will say that the nut does not provide as much strength as the shoulder of the Rem barrel. I would agree, but not enough to prevent me from putting a RUM barrel on my Savage.

I will agree that the Lapua is big enough that it is too close to the limits of both actions that I wouldn't build one on either action.

I'll wait for the new "big" Savage action for my Lapua.

Ok that makes sense. I'm with ya now. So I was talking to Jim at Northland Shooting Supply last week and he said he can't get a large shank short action with a mag, but he can get a varmit action (smaller shank) action with a mag. I'll have to ask him again.

So what's the 'big' savage action? Will that be out soon?

Here is a quote from SSS-Fred.

I spoke with Savage personell yesterday, and they are currently working on a large action specifically for .338 Lapua. It is basically a scaled up version about 25% bigger. But don't get excited.....you won't see this till next year.

I can't wait to get a Shilen pre-fit 7mm Allen Mag. Or, one of the new 338 Norma Mags.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts