New build for son

midwesthunter

I have two rem 600 actions and I was going to start planing a build for my son who will be 7 in June. I was thinking a 6.5x47 lapua or 6.5 creedmore. Was wondering what recoil is like from these. Closest think I have to compaired would be a 243 or 308 both have long heavy barrels. Plus hard to tell what it would feel like to a kid. I plan on using a varmint contour barrel finished at around 26-27". Stock I'm not sure of as not a lot of choices. But could always add weight to it if needed. I will tote it for him so overall weight not a concern. Just wondering if I will need to put a brake on it? Use will be for target for now untill he's old enough to start hunting out west. Maybe some exotics and hogs before then. So good choice for a kid? Prob load 120 grain pills for it.

Both would be good choices IMO. I might look at a 6x47 Lapua as well. Recoil will be less and in my experience they will shoot a 105 at 3100ish from a 22" tube. I'm getting ready to build on for my 7 and 9 year old boys. I do think if you built with the components you listed, recoil shouldn't be a problem.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.