New build considerations

Krumfola

I've got a Tikka rifle that I'm thinking about rebarreling to a 280ai. Is it worth it to start a project on Tikka action or should I go with something like a Kelbly Atlas? I know it would be more expensive to go that route. I'm cool with the higher price, it just means it would take a bit longer while I look for deals on the rest of the parts.

The one caveat is I hate it when my bolt knob is too close or even hits the scope which is partially why I'm leaning toward the Tikka with the shorter throw. I've got an Impact NBK SA and it is too close for me to use the throw lever on my ATACR (34mm tube in low rings). Not sure if that would happen with the Kelbly which would have an S&B Klassik with 30mm tube.

Build specs:
Action- Tikka/Kelbly
Bottom metal- Hawkins
Barrel- 24" fluted Ace or maybe a carbon fiber
Trigger- ?
Stock- LRH

Last edited:
I think the Tikka would be fine. If you can have it bedded after rebarreling that would improve the overall success of the rifle.

I would say build on the Tikka action. There are quite a few places offering shouldered prefits now due to the extremely tight tolerances on the Tikka actions.

I am up to 4 semi-custom Tikkas and still have 2 that are factory. I just can't justify the extra expense of a custom action when the Tikkas perform so well. Add to that not having to use a Remington style trigger and it is just icing.