new bench source annealer

Robbin

Sorry, I should have posted here, but I posted it in long range hunting and shooting. But it should have been here so I'll post it here.
Sorry for the double post.

Got my new Bench Source annealer
Totally awesome machine. I annealed 350 6.5X47Lapua cases in 35 minutes.
You can dial the amount of time the case is annealled from 1.5 to 8 seconds. The case is on a spindel and spinning while annealing. Very well made machine. There is a video on you tube.

It's not cheap, but you can tell by the video it's not made cheap either...
Here is bench sources link
New Case Neck Annealing Machine

Mine was shipped out middle of last week. I should have it any day. Can't wait to give her a try, looks to be a great machine and the spinning case with adjustable dwell time should be the ticket!!

Glad you like yours thanks for posting .

Jeff

Got my new Bench Source annealer

It's not cheap, but you can tell by the video it's not made cheap either...

I can't find out what it costs. They have one of those "too-clever-by-half" very frustrating web sites that doesn't give a price.

So what does it cost?

Thanks
Fitch

I can't find out what it costs. They have one of those "too-clever-by-half" very frustrating web sites that doesn't give a price.

So what does it cost?

Thanks
Fitch

Mine was $469.45 shipped. I sent one e-mail and it was answered that night. Then I made one call to them and the owner builder answered. Even though they are swamped trying to get this first batch shipped, he talk to me for a good while and answered all my questions and even more I didn't think of. He then transfered me to the office to get my card info to put me on the list to get one. They assured me no charges would be put on the card untill my unit was being shipped. The very nice office lady took my info. It was to ship by the 15th of April. Last Tuesday.. March 30th, the office lady called to tell me mine was shipping and wanted to charge my card. So they shipped 2 weeks ahead of schedule.

Very nice people to deal with.

Jeff

Mine was $469.45 shipped. I sent one e-mail and it was answered that night. Then I made one call to them and the owner builder answered. Even though they are swamped trying to get this first batch shipped, he talk to me for a good while and answered all my questions and even more I didn't think of. He then transfered me to the office to get my card info to put me on the list to get one. They assured me no charges would be put on the card untill my unit was being shipped. The very nice office lady took my info. It was to ship by the 15th of April. Last Tuesday.. March 30th, the office lady called to tell me mine was shipping and wanted to charge my card. So they shipped 2 weeks ahead of schedule.

Very nice people to deal with.

Jeff

That mirrors my experience almost exactly. I have the annealer on my bench now and should be giving in a good test this afternoon or tomorrow.

The machine is top notch quality and in initial setup and testing it proved very easy to setup and get working. With the dwell time dial you can really fine tune how much annealing is done to the cases and then get a perfectly repeatable setup the next time.

The next batch of annealers won't be available until June and their price has gone up to $519.

That's what I was told when I called last week inquiring about the price and availability.

Kevin

I've got about 600 rounds thru the annealer now. 270, 308, 6.5X47 Lapua.

I wonder how I ever did it without this tool. Now that I'm use to it, I can set up, get the temp I'm looking for and start my set in about 5 min. I used a permanet marker to mark the torch heights for different height cases.

Thanks for the update and tip Robbin. Could I ask what you see works well for dwell time? 3 1/2 or so?

Jeff

I have run about 500 through mine now and am as happy as I can be with the machine.

Dwell time seems to depend a lot on how close your torches are to the case.

For my 7-300WSM 4.5 seconds worked perfectly, for 204 Ruger 2.75 was right.

I check temp using 650 degree tempilaq. I paint a stripe down the side of the setup case. When the tempilaq melts to just below the shoulder that's enough.

With the 204Ruger I angled the torches up towards the neck to minimize heating down at the base. The necks annealed, and when they came off the machine I could hold the head in my hand still so I don't think the temps got too high lower on the case.

Using this machine will really show how subjective looking for a color change can be.

Thanks for the update and tip Robbin. Could I ask what you see works well for dwell time? 3 1/2 or so?

Jeff

I use two torches, set as low as the can go and have the internal pencil of blue flame hit the neck. My dwell times are 4.5 to 5.5. on all the brass. I know start it at 4.5, and dial it up till I get the results I'm looking for.

I don't use the temp sticks anymore. Buy watching the brass, I discovered if the neck flashed orange as it came out of the flame, I was duplicated what the temp paint was telling me was correct. I don't get anything like the color change down the side you see on lapua factory brass. Just a very soft brown tint down to just past the shoulder. I never see any orange in the shoulder, just the neck and just a flash, a second or less, as it leaves the flame.

My 475 temp never showed any change more than a half an inch below the shoulder using this method, while the 650 in the neck was completely gone.

I can feel the difference when I neck size and seat a bullet, but the neck tension remains good.

My results have been excellent.

I use two torches, set as low as the can go and have the internal pencil of blue flame hit the neck. My dwell times are 4.5 to 5.5. on all the brass. I know start it at 4.5, and dial it up till I get the results I'm looking for.

I don't use the temp sticks anymore. Buy watching the brass, I discovered if the neck flashed orange as it came out of the flame, I was duplicated what the temp paint was telling me was correct. I don't get anything like the color change down the side you see on lapua factory brass. Just a very soft brown tint down to just past the shoulder. I never see any orange in the shoulder, just the neck and just a flash, a second or less, as it leaves the flame.

My 475 temp never showed any change more than a half an inch below the shoulder using this method, while the 650 in the neck was completely gone.

I can feel the difference when I neck size and seat a bullet, but the neck tension remains good.

My results have been excellent.

I have noticed that flash of orange too, not sure what it is cooking off but it happens at just about the perfect time in the process.

The color change I get is the same as you describe too. I tend to run my brass long in the tumbler so I figured the lack of color change was related to cleaner brass/fewer other impurities cooking off and leaving a color stain behind.

Its at least a confidence builder when sizing, or seating bullets for every neck to feel exactly the same.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.