New barrel

So my weatherby needs a new barrel. Why can't I send in my old barrel and have a new one made off the same specs (chamber, tenon length) as my old one?
I'm referring to one of the aftermarket barrel manufacturers.

Which cartridge is your Wby chambered in?

I was wondering about the caliber and the model of Weatherby. Pac-Nor, which I recommend, only makes Weatherby pre-fits for Mark V's, Vanguard's and Weatherby Light Rifle. Not too up to speed on Weatherby rifles but I recently got a Pac-Nor, 28", Savage pre-fit, Varmint contour 1-9t, 5g, in .300WinMag. Excellent barrel!
Bought the go gauge from SSS and put the barrel on at my kitchen table. Shot it about 10 times, took it back off and used a Ryan Mantha finish reamer on the chamber.
I'm running the 215gn Berger Hybrids at 3045fps and an OAL of 3.73'-ish. Much better than the SAAMI chamber.

I'm just looking to save some money and unscrew / screw on a new barrel. Load development is a given. Seems like many places want 250-325 to put on a new barrel. I have an action wrench and vise.

It sure if anyone pointed this out (didn't read the entire thread), I see zero gain buy just sending the barrel in to be copied?

You would still be without you gun while it is being done. No difference in work, so how are you saving anything?

We do that with BR rigs, smith keeps notes on the individual action specs for future barrels, but needs the action or barrel for the first barrel.

You are not in that position.

The big Advantage to sending the barreled action to the Smith is he can correct any issues while he works on it.

I have yet to see a factory action that is truly straight.

Send the whole thing in.

JMHO

I did not read anyone that gave you this advice. so here it is from me. Pac-Nor barrels and barreling will do what you ask. they will custom chamber the rifle and make it like new of not better than new again. I have gone to them to make old shot out rifles shoot like or better than new. I have been told that Krieger, Lilja, and Hart will make the barrel and put it on for you. I am told most barrel manufacturers will. all you have to do is ask. I can only tell you what I have heard and this is it. now its up to you to find the barrel and company you would like to have to rebarrel your rifle.

The other advantage I see with a good custom barrel is you probably don't have to spend too much time and ammo finding a load that works because they shoot so well.I just loaded my ammo with proven loads I had worked up for other rifles seated .030 off the lands and was immediately shooting 1\4" groups out of my Pac-Nor SS Super Match Grade barrel and it does it with more than one powder too.

Wolf76 is quickly running out of time to have a barrel company make and install a new tube on his Weatherby and have it ready for the coming hunting season. Only some phone calls would provide lead times for this work from Pac-Nor or Hart, or any other that may be of interest. Bartlein is the only one showing lead time on their web site, and that is 4-6 months for a blank.

Wolf76 is quickly running out of time to have a barrel company make and install a new tube on his Weatherby and have it ready for the coming hunting season. Only some phone calls would provide lead times for this work from Pac-Nor or Hart, or any other that may be of interest. Bartlein is the only one showing lead time on their web site, and that is 4-6 months for a blank.

I'm fortunate that the safe has more than a few guns ready to go for the hunting season. This weatherby will be finished before next season.

It took 8 weeks when I had mine done at Pac-Nor a couple years ago.I sent it off in March and got it back in May

If you want to fit pre-cut barrels yourself get a Savage LOL

Its impossible to "copy" your barrel unless they had the same reamer. Like others said get the same place to supply and fit the barrel shouldn't cost "much" more than taking the risk of screwing one on yourself and hoping its somewhere close.

First of all I have been biting my tung as a gunsmith with 20 years experience you should leave installing new barrel to a professional with all the tools I don't tell the plumber how to plum the toilet or the banker how to write a loan this is a serious job if you don't do it Wright someone can get hurt or worse killed (don't be stupid) if you think that having it done by a gunsmith cost to much then you probably can't afford it shoot

First of all I have been biting my tung as a gunsmith with 20 years experience you should leave installing new barrel to a professional with all the tools I don't tell the plumber how to plum the toilet or the banker how to write a loan this is a serious job if you don't do it Wright someone can get hurt or worse killed (don't be stupid) if you think that having it done by a gunsmith cost to much then you probably can't afford it shoot

The question isn't about costing too much. Its about saving a few bucks. I just spent nearly 3K on a custom 338 edge. My Bee is a fun gun that I'd like to see shoot well. If I can do some work myself, I will. There's a reason I posted this thread (being safe and smart were 2 big reasons).
As it sits now, I'll put it in the back of the safe. When I'm done with my 350 legend, this one will get rolling.
FWIW- I've used Short Action Customs and Pierce Engineering gunsmiths and they were worth every penny.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.