New at long range shooting, what would be considered an acceptional group at 800-1000yds?

Truk505

Title pretty much sums it up. I'm new to the longe range game and was wondering what would be considered an above average size group at 800-1000yds?

Above average? Meaning better than average or larger than average? Horizontal or vertical or both combined?

When you get to long range just having the horizontal dispersion kept low is a sign of a good shooter, a solid rifle/load combo and good wind doping skills. Vertical distribution should IMHO not be bigger than 1MOA and honestly should be a good whack under that otherwise shooting at that distance may be somewhat less than satisfying to the casual shooter and positively disheartening to those on the higher end.

In reality with off the shelf guns if you're printing 1MOA at long range (so about 8.4" at 800 or about 10.5" at 1000) you're doing pretty darned well. Not spectacular but good and sufficient. Anything under that is better. With a custom rifle, I'd expect more of the hardware but not necessarily more of the shooter. One can easily negate the other.

A couple weeks ago I put a 3" group of 5 down at 800. That group was with only 1" of vertical distribution. Most of the error was in the wind holds. I was very happy with that group. My Coach then turned around and did the same thing at 900 and he was also very happy. When we bring long range groups to half-moa, we're high five-ing.

Honestly though that's not the particular paper I'd be racing for someone new to the game. Shooting at long range isn't, to me, about group size. It's about the ability to reliably engage at long range which to me means it's more helpful to be able to hit your target the first time, every time, in the vital zone. Send 1 and correct, to me, does not a skilled long range shooter make or display.

Above average? Meaning better than average or larger than average? Horizontal or vertical or both combined?

When you get to long range just having the horizontal dispersion kept low is a sign of a good shooter, a solid rifle/load combo and good wind doping skills. Vertical distribution should IMHO not be bigger than 1MOA and honestly should be a good whack under that otherwise shooting at that distance may be somewhat less than satisfying to the casual shooter and positively disheartening to those on the higher end.

In reality with off the shelf guns if you're printing 1MOA at long range (so about 8.4" at 800 or about 10.5" at 1000) you're doing pretty darned well. Not spectacular but good and sufficient. Anything under that is better. With a custom rifle, I'd expect more of the hardware but not necessarily more of the shooter. One can easily negate the other.

A couple weeks ago I put a 3" group of 5 down at 800. That group was with only 1" of vertical distribution. Most of the error was in the wind holds. I was very happy with that group. My Coach then turned around and did the same thing at 900 and he was also very happy. When we bring long range groups to half-moa, we're high five-ing.

Honestly though that's not the particular paper I'd be racing for someone new to the game. Shooting at long range isn't, to me, about group size. It's about the ability to reliably engage at long range which to me means it's more helpful to be able to hit your target the first time, every time, in the vital zone. Send 1 and correct, to me, does not a skilled long range shooter make or display.

I was out yesterday and shot my first 800yd group with this particular rifle. I estimated my 200yd zero because this is a new rifle and I've only shot it one other time and that was at 100yds. 4 of my 5 shots were within about 3-1/3" of each other, the fifth shot caught a gust of wind that I never felt until 2 or 3 seconds after the shot. My horizontal dispersion was about 1/2" for 4 of the shots, with one shot being about 1-1/2" higher than my lowest.

Having never really shooting long range before it seemed like a good group to me. Unfortunately it was at the end of the day and I was only able to shoot the one group.
B66AC862-0AE0-4ED3-AC31-C6BF15C9F47C.jpeg

In this pic you can see the fifth shot on the far right corner by the tape.

59390FA6-1607-4123-8508-B00B4DF9D058.jpeg

I really don't know how to answer your question, like I said I'm new to the long range game.

I'm using a 8-1/2lb Hunting rifle (scope included).
If you're turning in groups like that at 800 with a pencil barrel hunting rifle, you're not having anything to feel less than great about. You might even consider putting together a heavy barrel match rifle and competing.

If you're turning in groups like that at 800 with a pencil barrel hunting rifle, you're not having anything to feel less than great about. You might even consider putting together a heavy barrel match rifle and competing.

It's not a pencil barrel, it's a Proof sendero I believe.

It was my first group at 800 and I never verified a 200yd zero I only estimated, that's what threw off my vertical hold. My next trip out I'll verify my 200yd zero then if I have to adjust it lower I'll try the same hold. I wasn't too concerned about not hitting the paper as this was literally the second time I've shot the rifle, I was mostly looking for a tight group.

A hunting rifle...damned good for second trip out and not verified...
You should now know where your moa is from poa to poi.....so calculate backwards to 200 and verify your success.....

A hunting rifle...damned good for second trip out and not verified...
You should now know where your moa is from poa to poi.....so calculate backwards to 200 and verify your success.....

I was shooting about 1-3/4" to 1-7/8" high at 100yds so I adjusted 1 click down on the scope and figured I'd be close to zero at 200yds, then I based my ballistic calculations off a 200yd zero.

I've still got a bit of work left to verify my 200 zero but the results seem promising for my first long range hunting rifle so far.

It's not a pencil barrel, it's a Proof sendero I believe.

It was my first group at 800 and I never verified a 200yd zero I only estimated, that's what threw off my vertical hold. My next trip out I'll verify my 200yd zero then if I have to adjust it lower I'll try the same hold. I wasn't too concerned about not hitting the paper as this was literally the second time I've shot the rifle, I was mostly looking for a tight group.
Well since it's a proof barrel, tighten that group up!
Jk lol

Well since it's a proof barrel, tighten that group up!
Jk lol

Ha, no kidding hey?

Up until now I've never owned what could be considered a dedicated long range rifle but always wanted one. Since I like shooting and found myself buying rifles, then developing loads at 100yds until I'd get tiny groups, then selling the rifle and buying a new one and do it all over again, I figured this time instead of developing a load at 100yds then selling the rifle that I'd see how far out I can stretch it.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.