new AR project 7mm-08

Great rig. I've been trying to decide if I wanted to go with a new AR hunting rifle. Currently using a 6.8 SPC. You'll have to post your results.

I have owned a Remington/DPMS R25 for a few years in 7-08. I have a 3.5-10 Mark4 mounted on it. I have shot it with both factory and hand loads with good success. Won a 200 yard egg shoot with it a couple of years ago. It shoots most factory loads under 1MOA with many groups running in the .5MOA range. In hand loads it likes 139SST's and Nosler 140 Ballistic Tips behind 42.5gr of Varget with Fed/Rem brass, WinLR primers. These loads run .5MOA at 2740FPS in the 20" barrel. Feeding and cycling is perfect. I haven't hunted with it yet but it should be a good 500 yard med game hunting rifle. My only issue is the development of loose primer pockets after a couple of reloads. There are no pressure signs with my loads. Picked up a primer pocket tightening too from Midway for $40 and this solves the problem.

Just joined specifically to respond to this thread. I realize it's a bit old, but I'm curious, how did you build turn out?

I'm interested in this cal.

Sorry been busy moving with the Army, rifle was finished, shoots great so far with one load I had time to develop before I left my last duty station, I am afraid i will not be able to do more testing for some as I am constantly going TDY with my new position.

Sorry been busy moving with the Army, rifle was finished, shoots great so far with one load I had time to develop before I left my last duty station, I am afraid i will not be able to do more testing for some as I am constantly going TDY with my new position.

Any advice on initial load testing (assuming you're handloading)?

thanks

P.S. What mags are you running?

only load so far was

barnes 140 xlc powder VGT 38 grn COAL 2808

and Barnes 160 TSX Powder VGT 37 Grn COAL 2808

thats all I have written down

run a ladder test find the bullet you prefer, In Accordance with your twist rate and start testing velocities based off of the safe loads try this
http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/

look up ladder testing of you are unsure, there was a post here about it at one time.

Yes I do. I measured the hole from my dpms 308 and made it the same. Not sure what size it was

finally settled into the new home, I will get back on track developing a load for this rife.
at least here in Wyoming I can stretch its legs

I am going to try some 160 grain bullets tomorrow morning with 4831sc'

and see how they due, after that 162 AMAX

just have not had time, new job after the Army keeps me busy... probably going to sell it and stock with 2 calibers..

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.