• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

New APS K-Rifles in 6.5-284, 6.5-06 and 280 AI for sale

Fiftydriver

Official LRH Sponsor
About 6 years ago after buying a Ruger American rifle in 243 win for my then 10 year old daughter to hunt with, we found the very affordable rifle leaving much to be desired. One day while out shooting my daughter looks at me and says, "Daddy, can you rebuild this i to a real shooter for me?" Told her i would look into it and see. Well, after a few hours of researching parts we had a plan set in motion.

That project resulted in fully blueprinting the Ruger American receiver, fitting a new Bartlein #3 contour stainless steel barrel with one of my small Painkiller muzzle brakes capping the muzzle. We then bedded the barreled receiver to a boyds sporter laminate wood stock in brown/tan color. Most importantly i tuned the trigger and got it to a very quality 1 3/4 lb trigger pull.

1990D4F0-C51A-4D55-AF66-FFB5A2596D1C.jpeg

this was 6 years ago.
53E53913-3D5C-468D-97ED-E6B502F2CC38.jpeg

This was last fall. This little rifle has severed her very well and is extremely accurate. She consistently shot 1/4 to 1/3 moa groups at 100 yards and routinely hit 1 moa sized targets out to 800 yards.

seeing the results of this little rifle, over the past 6 years, i have built and shipped dozens of these little rifles and they simply are amazing little performers that fall into a price range right there with top end factory rifles but far outperforming them as every one is truly precision build with very high quality parts and are also held to my 1/2 moa accuracy potential at 800 yard requirements.

for those that want reliable precision in a big game rifle but do not have the budget or want to invest in a very top end full custom rifle such as my APS Stalker or Raptor rifles, these are a great choice, for the beginner to expert shooter and hunter.

Rarely do i even advertise these rifles as customers either call me up to order one quickly or they sell as soon as they finish. However, i got a batch of three ruger Americans in and built them up before saying anything about them and are now offering them for sale first to the LongRangeHunting community.

Rifle #1
9C86E340-F06B-4EA2-B868-91FF0AABFE8E.jpeg

This is a short action and a bit of an experiment as i wanted to see if i could shoehorn in the 6.5mm-284 chambering into this short action. Simply put it works very well. Fully blueprinted receiver and bolt. Bartlein #3B stainless steel, fluted 9t barrel, 26" with one of my small PK brakes on the muzzle.
AB7B113E-6C2C-4FE8-95AB-9FBFBA206087.jpeg

bedded into a Stockys Accublock laminated wood stock in Red/black/grey colors. Trigger fully tuned to 1 1/4 lbs. one piece scope rail base included as well. This rifle easily met my accuracy standards at 800 yards. Zero recoil!! This would be an ideal long range steel slapper, varmint rifle or medium big game rifle for sit and shoot type hunting. Not extremely heavy but will be in the 10 lb range scoped and ready for the field.

price includes, complete rifle with items listed, fully function tested and proven, load development done for one bullet, accuracy tested at a minimum of 800 yards. Load data from test provided with rifle, economy hard case, all shipping/insurance cost to your FFL (no in person pick ups). READY TO SHIP TODAY. if wanted would take 50/50 payment. Half down, half due within 90 days.

Price of rifle without brake (thread cap included)………..$2500
with brake included…………………………………………$2700
with dies and 50 pieces of peterson brass included……$2860

Rifle #2

this is more of a classic sporter type rifle.
97D6CCFD-79BB-4022-9A43-FD6B9605921F.jpeg

E983189E-46D9-4F36-9997-B9D49E2A3795.jpeg

this one is chambered in 6.5-06, perhaps the most logical wildcat on the planet!! Again, fully blueprinted Long Action Ruger American receiver, trigger tuned to 1 3/4 lbs (can be screw adjusted where needed), bartlein #3 contour stainless steel 8.5tw barrel, 26" finish with small Painkiller muzzle brake ready. pillar bedded into a Boyds classic sporter stock. Fitted with warner steel two piece bases. Scope and bipod not included. This is a great general purpose big game hunting rifle with classic lines ideally suited for medium big game but easily capable of harvesting bull elk size game with proper bullet selection. Again with brake very little recoil to mention so great for new hunters, ladies and even experienced hunters. Because it is a wildcat, loading die set (rcbs and 50 pieces of brass included in rifle base price)

Rifle base price with muzzle thread cap………$2425
Rifle price with PK muzzle brake and cap…….$2625

again, ready to ship now, would accept 50/50 payment plan as described above as well.

Rifle #3

is in its finishing stages. Will be finished this weekend. Same exact rifle as #2 except chambered in 280 AI, has a fluted barrel of same specs and stock is forest camo laminate colors (dark green, brown, grey). Selling this one also with die set (RCBS) and 50 pieces of nosler brass included.

as mentioned will be finished this weekend.

rifle price with muzzle cap only…………….$2600
rifle price with small PK muzzle brake…….$2800

Again, all of these rifles are fully function tested, load development done and accuracy tested at 800 yards to prove they are up to my 1/2 moa accuracy potential standard before shipping. Prices include hard case and all shipping/insurance costs to your FFL. MUCH more then just a rifle purchase. Plus you get my full support for the rifle as always.

pics to come soon for the 280 AI but again, same platform as #2. First come first serve. Get these in time to play with them a bunch before big game season starts here in a few months!! Thanks guys and gals!!

Attachments

• 1159128A-6508-462D-BC24-4E2964E622DD.jpeg
    1159128A-6508-462D-BC24-4E2964E622DD.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 38
Hey Kirby. Nice rifles. What would the weight be on rifle #2 and #3? What would the ballistics be for #2 with 140gr Nosler? Thx

Hey Kirby. Nice rifles. What would the weight be on rifle #2 and #3? What would the ballistics be for #2 with 140gr Nosler? Thx
Around 8 lbs i would estimate for bare rifle weight. They are not lightweights but easily portable in all but the most extreme terrain by a healthy male and most female hunters. just did load development with the 143 gr eld-x bullet using imr-7828 and it averaged 3020 fps so a nosler AB or Part should be right close to 3k.

Just an example what i mean when all my rifles are fully FUNCTION tested before shipping. When i had the first two rifles on the range for the accuracy test, they both passed with flying colors. The 6.5-284 fed like a dream from full mag to last round.

the 6.5-06 however fed buttery smooth for the 1st, 2nd and 4th round out of the magazine. However, the 3rd or second to last out of the mag would pop out prematurely every time binding up the action…..

after the accuracy test i went back to the shop to correct this, figured just an issue with that particular magazine as i had never expereinced this issue before with past K-rifles i had built. Tested two other brand new mag and issue was EXACTLY the same with each.

long story short, the front receiver screw and associated front mag retaining clip needed to be set deeper into the stock by 0.035". Once i did that, mag functioned perfectly with all four rounds in the mag.

every rifle i build i FULLY function test and accuracy test. Its not common at all but any issues big or small, i do my best to find and correct before they become the customers problems. That mind set has served me well the past 20 years. You get much more then just a rifle from me. And for any issues that MAY come up down the road, always there to help customers. Even if its just questions about random gun stuff and nothing to do with the specific rifle. 👍

I remember a write up you did for her from before.
When the say " Hey Daddy can you...." What could be more magical than that!!!
Dad gave me an ultralight .257 Ruger for graduation in '83.
I treasure it.

I remember a write up you did for her from before.
When the say " Hey Daddy can you...." What could be more magical than that!!!
Dad gave me an ultralight .257 Ruger for graduation in '83.
I treasure it.
Then they grow up a little more and you cant buy time with them because they are so busy!! That said, both rifles still here waiting on a new home!! 😉

Recent Posts