New Action Choice, Thompson Precision. Possibly....

MTAR15

First, I have no financial association with this company. It's owned and run by a friend and his family, they know I'm into firearms and rifles in particular so they've asked me to help with this project. My only compensation is the satisfaction of helping good people introduce a good product.

They have started manufacturing a Rem 700 clone action, currently the only design they have is for a long action (magnum bolt face). If these are well received, they will also offer a short action. They aren't looking to go head long into the firearms industry, their main focus has been and will be aerospace. But they are gun guys and it was a natural fit, they have available resources to make these and decided "why not".

Fit and finish are top notch, I've gotten a couple of these in builder's hands and they are impressed with every aspect. Recently a builder barreled one up and was pleased with the finish and precision of the action, he's asked them to get a marking variance and supply him actions. But to make this worth it, they need broader interest.

Currently they've made a small run of actions, they are still waiting on some of the small parts to finish them (mini M16 extractor kits, etc). When they are done they have asked me to get a couple of these into the hands of guys that will have them built with quality components by notable gunsmiths and report back with both their inputs and the inputs of the builders.

When the time comes, I'll post here to see if anyone is interested in participating.

Anyways, here are some pictures of the actions. These are fresh off the machine, they have not been debured or tumbled. During tumbling the action face and tenon threads will be protected with a cap so they are flat and fresh with sharp surfaces.

These all have a sheep port, their interest was in having hunting rifles built for themselves so all were made the same. But in the future other port options are possible.

Thanks for taking a look.

E74E0A17-BA73-4194-97F2-DB16A2FD4BC0_zpsyo0c0kle.jpg

F22500F4-73EB-4237-9CAD-5B10E528937E_zpsgrno2xvt.jpg

FB5F8725-6576-4749-9891-41CB0135CA50_zpsbokjhrgx.jpg

EC89F71F-9FE7-47E7-9F3B-B4E2DE1C3BF4_zpsuvhclmux.jpg

8950DE3F-71C2-4FDF-ADEF-D895D239016C_zpsjvvahdq5.jpg

EC575F56-AC72-4595-B11A-C129DED6A535_zpsp3navzpv.jpg

51A75029-3534-412A-A203-132DD0BB8519_zpsvn2uouwl.jpg

Thanks guys.

Just an update, we have 1 action with a builder who's making a 300WM for one of his customers.

We are looking for at least one more build, so if you are a customer who's considering a build that would fit this action or if you are a builder who wants to give one a try PM me and we can discuss.

A couple things though:

1. We are looking for someone looking to do the build with high quality parts, we all know the names of top quality cut rifle barrels and the makers of world class stock.

2. We are looking for a build that can be done fairly quickly so we can receive feedback soon.

I don't want to sound like a component snob, but of course we want feedback from the gunsmith and/or owner about thoughts on the action and how well the rifle performs. Using what's widely considered world class parts removes any concerns.

Also if someone wants to do a build but does not have a builder in mind, let me know and I'll hook you up with a world class builder that will produce an amazing rifle for you in a reasonable time frame.

We have all our parts in and bolts are being assembled as I type this.

BFAA58AF-51C8-4F56-81B7-3CFBCB903A0B_zps2hnnmhqi.jpg

I might be able to fit the bill. PM me with details and I'll respond later tonight I'm currently driving.

I have 2 built on there earlier action not sure how much they changed but my 300 rum shoots the 215 bergers in to .3 or .4 with not much work. The other is a 28 nosler I just am finishing up, if the temp gets up I'm going to go do load work.

Dang... Those are slick looking!

I've been looking at stiller, but might have to try one of thsee instead... What's the price on these bad boys?

Dang... Those are slick looking!

I've been looking at stiller, but might have to try one of thsee instead... What's the price on these bad boys?

Those actions look mediocre at best. I think the only way to find out for sure is if you send me several and I "test" them for you. :D

Interested in price as well. It's always nice to have high quality diversity in today's market. Tagging in!

This is a recently completed 30-338 Win on one of the Thompson Precision actions. It's got a 22", 10-twist Proof Research barrel.

It was smithed by Dave Young in Sand Coulee, MT. His impressions of the receiver were that it is very well machined, it required no truing or correction to make things in alignment.

My impressions are that it is a very smooth receiver. It's got great primary extraction. The timing is spot on and the ejection is flawless. It feeds great too. No ratcheting or anything of the sort. The receiver also has bosses for pinning a rail, if desired.

My only recommendation is that Thompson Precision manufactures a low profile rail. It's a double-round bridge receiver so a traditional 700 one piece rail will not work. I ended up using two Weaver front bases that were modified to work with the 8-40 screws that the receiver came with. A Farrel base can be obtained for the receiver, but they are 0.5" thick which would not accommodate a smaller objective scope very well.

With no scope, bipod or can, it weighs 7.2#. With the ATACR, Harris and Elite Iron can, it weighs 11.2#.

This is a recently completed 30-338 Win on one of the Thompson Precision actions. It's got a 22", 10-twist Proof Research barrel.

It was smithed by Dave Young in Sand Coulee, MT. His impressions of the receiver were that it is very well machined, it required no truing or correction to make things in alignment.

My impressions are that it is a very smooth receiver. It's got great primary extraction. The timing is spot on and the ejection is flawless. It feeds great too. No ratcheting or anything of the sort. The receiver also has bosses for pinning a rail, if desired.

My only recommendation is that Thompson Precision manufactures a low profile rail. It's a double-round bridge receiver so a traditional 700 one piece rail will not work. I ended up using two Weaver front bases that were modified to work with the 8-40 screws that the receiver came with. A Farrel base can be obtained for the receiver, but they are 0.5" thick which would not accommodate a smaller objective scope very well.

With no scope, bipod or can, it weighs 7.2#. With the ATACR, Harris and Elite Iron can, it weighs 11.2#.

WOW, another beaut of a rifle built by Dave, I'm sure she's going to be a shooter. Congrats!

Ed