Action choice...

It is hard for me to see this as a benefit. A recoil lug is a relatively simple part to setup and cut.

Adding to an action makes the whole action more complex for what benefit....to reduce scrap....I would guess. Same with the integral rail. Maybe someone more knowledgeable than me can jump on and help explain.
Now I am no CNC guy, but maybe the machine needs one more axis to do an integral component action, so the machining costs higher, I do not know. As for costs, the billet itself to do a budgie action would be considerably smaller, 1 1/2" compared to 2.5".
Anyone who has had a scope base come loose at an inopportune time will appreciate the integral scope base. I myself will never buy an action w/o.
My choice of action is Impact, you simply cannot bind the bolt up, and bolt lift and close can be manipulated by varying size trigger hangers that come with the action.
I have ran Lawton, Stiller, Bighorn, Mausingfield, and Defiance, but today I have 5 Impacts, one Defiance.

Defiance. I looked at many, but not all. Compared to BAT and Stiller, shilen, kelbly.. I'd go Defiance. If you guys wanna know, the Rem 700 Stainless with a jeweled bolt is so smooth, I have it on a factory 5R 300 win mag, but of course, smooth is not the only criteria, but the gun shoots sub 1/2" moa with factory ammo. Most custom gun builders can't even guarantee that. But if you want a custom action, I'd get a Defiance after handling many at the Shot show. The most important part of repeatability is that the bullet enters concentric to the bore for least deformity, so the bolt face needs to be square and parallel to the bore and you have to have a uniform bore and crown. Then you need ZERO wind and you need to be able to shoot that good. :)

I got got my last one from Kelblys, I wanted the ejector on the lug so i want tossing my brass out. another plus if you have them build the gun and you need a new barrel, you just call them up and they can do all the work and just send you the barrel and you just have to screw it on. They are also a family run business and they were great to deal with.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts