Action choice...

Most of the $1300 actions are all integral, machined in lug, and scope base. A few companies have decided to offer actions w/o these integral machined options and are able to make them at reduced costs.
It is hard for me to see this as a benefit. A recoil lug is a relatively simple part to setup and cut.

Adding to an action makes the whole action more complex for what benefit....to reduce scrap....I would guess. Same with the integral rail. Maybe someone more knowledgeable than me can jump on and help explain.

Because you wanted:

308 bolt face
Short action
Either AICS or single shot
I really just want a strong, stiff, precisely machined, ultra smooth bolt throw, action.....ideally DLC or melonite.

It ticks all your boxes, has the added benefit of CRF (which I prefer), and there are several options to choose from depending on whether you want the more basic Origin or the more advanced/customizable TL3/SR3, and there are pre-fit barrels available so you don't have to play gunsmith. I don't have first hand experience with Defiance actions, but I have heard that the tolerances are sometimes too tight to operate in adverse/dirty environments (not sure which specific model) where the Zermatt is marketed towards both a hunting and tactical set up so it is spec'd to handle grit. When I was doing my build, that intended use was more desirable to me than say a straight competition gun because I have no interest in competing in PRS. I still wanted the perks of a competition action like a smooth bolt, and can tell you my TL3 is smoother out of the box than my buddy's well used AI work gun. It also shares all of the common benefits of custom actions like the ability to customize and fitting a R700 foot print. Customer service was also good, and my lead time was less than quoted.

I know there are lots of good actions, and many have been mentioned here. I have been been super happy with the decision and have absolutely no regrets. If I were to do it all over again, or build another rifle, I would go back for another Zermatt because in my experience they are worth the money.

Hope this helped.

Some of the suggested actions are very high end and have tight tolerances, and one barrel source notes that for high-end actions, their fixed prefit barrel shoulders are torqued against the action to a very close tolerance, which sets a fixed headspace. In a different thread, the author presented data showing that lands recede by .004" - .007" per 100 rounds. How do precision shooters deal with headspace adjustment on those high-end actions without barrel nuts?

Some of the suggested actions are very high end and have tight tolerances, and one barrel source notes that for high-end actions, their fixed prefit barrel shoulders are torqued against the action to a very close tolerance, which sets a fixed headspace. In a different thread, the author presented data showing that lands recede by .004" - .007" per 100 rounds. How do precision shooters deal with headspace adjustment on those high-end actions without barrel nuts?

Land erosion does not lengthen headspace, they are not the same thing. As your lands erode you just chase them with extending your bullet to keep optimal seating depth.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.