New 6.8 cartridge (Western)

Wonder what the case capacity is compared to my 270SS? Looks like they did the exact thing rich does, but kept the same shoulder angle and used the WSM case instead of the SAUM. I do wonder if they straightened the walls out any or kept the same taper. I think it's pretty cool.

Last edited:
Wonder what the case capacity is compared to my 270SS? Looks like they did the exact thing rich does, but kept the same shoulder angle and used the WSM case instead of the SAUM. I do woo ponder if they straightened the walls out any or kept the same taper. I think it's pretty cool.
the shoulder dia. is .538 not sure on the SS. case capacity in quickdesign 76.8 and they are usually a little heavy so 75.5 is probably closer

I think the only thing special about the Western is, the case OAL allows for the longer bullets to work in a SA. Otherwise just the fact that companies ARE making heavier bullets in loaded ammunition and heavier available bullets. Winchester and Browning will offer 7.5 twist barrels in that cartridge. It's a win, win for current .270 owners looking for heavier bullets to justify a faster barrel purchase.

I hope it is everything they say it is. I have followed it from December thru now and I am tired of reading. I have friends that did the Creedmoor and the 6.5 PRC and I have Grendels already and love that round but want some more authority.
I liked everything I read and was one of the first to special order one along with a two die set and a case of bullets. If I get this rifle and it kicks like a mule (which it is not supposed to) I will sell it all and consider my days of wanting to reach out past 750 with authority just a dream that wasn't met to be!:) I just wanted to do something different and maybe hunt some bigger critters than a deer and spend some time dinging steel at 1000 plus!!!:) we will see??? Have a sheet from Hodgdon to work from already and have the time,,, what I don't have is the stamina of a teen anymore and I don't like being kicked by a mule?? I really hope it works out because the wife and I want to do some road trips towards the mountains and I want to try a Elk hunt if it all works out???:) and she wants to go to Alaska and visit some friends that live there.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.