SAAMI - New Pistol Cartridge Released

Muddyboots

Not sure what this cartridge offers that not already covered? Thoughts?

SAAMI Announces Acceptance of a New Cartridge​
NEWTOWN, Conn. – The Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers' Institute,® ​Inc., (SAAMI®​) has announced the acceptance of a new pistol cartridge for SAAMI standardization. SAAMI is the organization at the forefront of promoting firearm safety by creating standards that ensure safety, reliability, and interchangeability of firearms, ammunition, and components.
30 Super Carry – The 30 Super Carry was introduced by Federal Cartridge Company with a 100-grain bullet traveling at a velocity of 1,250 fps, a 115-grain bullet traveling at a velocity of 1,150 fps, and a Maximum Average Pressure of 52,000 psi.
For further information on these new cartridges, please visit the New Cartridge & Chamber Drawings section of the SAAMI website.​

The main draw is magazine capacity. A shield plus in 30 super carry holds 3 rounds more than the same gun in 9mm, which is a 30% increase in capacity with the flush magazine. A subcompact in 30 Super Carry has a magazine capacity similar to a full size 9mm. It provides ballistics similar to 9mm in terms of energy and penetration, but isn't on par with 9mm +P. It operates at higher pressure than 9mm +P so it's unlikely many handguns could handle a +P version.

I wouldn't replace my carry gun to switch calibers, but I'd consider 30 SC if I needed a new gun and was confident ammo would remain available. For anything other than a subcompact it's more or less pointless.

Last edited:
Not sure what this cartridge offers that not already covered? Thoughts?

SAAMI Announces Acceptance of a New Cartridge​
NEWTOWN, Conn. – The Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers' Institute,® ​Inc., (SAAMI®​) has announced the acceptance of a new pistol cartridge for SAAMI standardization. SAAMI is the organization at the forefront of promoting firearm safety by creating standards that ensure safety, reliability, and interchangeability of firearms, ammunition, and components.
30 Super Carry – The 30 Super Carry was introduced by Federal Cartridge Company with a 100-grain bullet traveling at a velocity of 1,250 fps, a 115-grain bullet traveling at a velocity of 1,150 fps, and a Maximum Average Pressure of 52,000 psi.
For further information on these new cartridges, please visit the New Cartridge & Chamber Drawings section of the SAAMI website.​
When no one keeps up with demand for existing cartridges, the logical step is to introduce…more cartridges!!!

My 9mm holds 15 rounds
My 357sig holds I believe 12 rounds
my 40 S&W holds 12 rounds
my 45ACP holds 14 rounds
All with the standard magazines
Tell me again why I should carry a 30 super? Oh, because a marketing deepartment decided I needed more variety that does not perform as well as the four mentioned

My 9mm holds 15 rounds
My 357sig holds I believe 12 rounds
my 40 S&W holds 12 rounds
my 45ACP holds 14 rounds
All with the standard magazines
Tell me again why I should carry a 30 super? Oh, because a marketing deepartment decided I needed more variety that does not perform as well as the four mentioned
This right here. Exactly.

I bought one and like it. Long time in the revolver world but a late comer to the 9mm semiauto world. 40 S&W was my first step years ago, never shot it much, as to how my wrists felt when done, just like a 44 mag, I own one, but shoot the 41 mag regularly. I shot a 9mm in recent years and recently, the 30 Super Carry, just like the 9mm, is an all day fun shooter, for me and that is how I judge a cartridge.
I've enjoyed shooting 32 H&R Mag, 38 Special, 10mm, 41 Mag, 45 ACP, 45 Colt and 480 Ruger.