New 6.5x284 Rifle: Load Suggestions

mtp29464

Hi Guys,
I've been shooting all my life, loading for years, and have recently gotten interested in long range stuff. I have had a 6.5x284 built. It has a 27" varmint contour Bartlein barrel 5R, 8 twist.

I've got a box of factory Nosler 120 grain ballistic tips to do the barrel break in, but no other ammo. I have all Nosler brass and 120 and 140 grain ballistic tip bullets to load.

The powders I have on hand are:
H4831SC
H4831
IMR 4895
IMR 4395
IMR 4064
Could y'all suggest some starting loads you have had success with in the past. Please include Bullets, powder, brass, primers, and velocities. I plan on shooting mostly 140 grain bullets because of the rate of twist, but if you have a good load for 120 grain bullets, I'd like to know what they are.

Thanks for your help.

Remember, you don't save money reloading...You just shoot more.

There is an abundance of info, probably more than you could ever use, by typing in 6.5 284 in the search bar at the top right of every page. Seriously, one of the longest threads ever on this Forum is 6.5 284. Just try it, you'll like it.

One of my favorite bullets! The Ballistic Tip.

I shot quiet a few of the 120gn NBT's in Georgia with RL25, CCI BR2's and Lapua brass. My load was 58.5gn's, it averaged .3445" for 5 shot groups at 100yds. 59.0gn was right in there also (.380") but of the two loads, the ES and SD were better with 58.5gn.

My rifle would print this load/bullet anywhere from 1.5" to 2.5" @ 500yds. I killed several Ga whitetail with this load. None ran, they were all DRT. Good, accurate load in my rifle.

Been wanting to try RL26 with the 140gn NBT to see if I can get the same accuracy from it. Always something to try. :)

Currently shooting 140gn A-Max's with 59.0gn Retumbo/CCI BR2's/Lapua brass. Getting 3040fps and sub .5MOA. JohnnyK.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.