6.5x284 - Load

While this aspect isn't so relevant for shooting at less then 500 yards, it is important at the extended ranges. I have found the lowest ES, combined with the best accuracy node in the 2975-3025FPS range with several of my 6.5x284's. I 'm rimpressed with the 156 Berger Hunting EOL driven in the 2950-3000FPS. It has proven to be easy to load and delivers good accuracy, low ES, 1000FPE to 1200 yards, along with superb ballistics, in my all three If my 6.5x284's. While reports from those who have used this bullet have been quite good, I have not yet used ithe 156 on game. in a few weeks I plan on getting some first hand experience on antelope and whitetail. Below is the load I will be running in my 26", 1:8TW Cooper.
View attachment 213845

I loaded up some 156 grainers with some N570 yesterday. Rifle is still with McMillan getting the stock built. First 6.5x284 Norma (just a little excited).

@Greyfox, what overall length does that put you at with this load?

I loaded up some 156 grainers with some N570 yesterday. Rifle is still with McMillan getting the stock built. First 6.5x284 Norma (just a little excited).

@Greyfox, what overall length does that put you at with this load?
At .030" off the lands with my Cooper, I am at 3.16"COAL. This value will vary by the particular chamber and how far you're seat the bullet off the lands. Nice thing about the 156 Berger's is that they appear to be less sensitive to seating depth compared to the VLD designs.

Littlebighorn, you're right about ltd. barrel life. I pushed my 6.5/.284 XP loads. I got 2200 rounds through it. Still shot decent, but first 14" of lands were gone. I put on a Douglas barrel and babying it a lot more.

Littlebighorn, you're right about ltd. barrel life. I pushed my 6.5/.284 XP loads. I got 2200 rounds through it. Still shot decent, but first 14" of lands were gone. I put on a Douglas barrel and babying it a lot more.
You may be surprised with the results of increasing bullet weight/BC, and backing of your velocity to the 3000FPS range.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.