New 6.5 build

Thanks everyone for all the helpfull info I guess the 6.5 284 makes sense i think I will have to go with this good brass no fire forming , alittle more punch down range.

Guys would like your input, here, I m going to build another rig just triying to decide, on th 260 ackley or th 6.5 284. This rig will be for lugging around the mountains ,and will be used for hunting Sheep ,deer, Antelope, Elk, I want to be able to reach out to a max of 700 yards wiht this rig, does the 6.5 284 have that much more puch than the 260 AI?I have done some reasearch ,and it does not look like it has that much more 75ft/sec 150-200 LBS of energy at 700 over 260AI , but i do like the short action option of the 260AI, with a wyatts extended box, over a long action, the weight savings on the short action let me go to a #3 barrel . Oh I forgot to mention fire forming brass does not bother me either.

Kreiger#2 25inch barrel 1:8
stiller action
Wild cat light weight stock no bottom metal to keep weight down.

rig to be 6lbs when done 6.75 scoped.

What caliber do I choose? , I have a custom 260 Rem right now and it is awesome but I want more punch for the elk at longer ranges .

Ramrod....I would STRONGLY consider my new 6.5 SS, especially since you mentioned that you don't mind fire forming! It is based on the SAUM case. I designed it to fit in a std. Rem, or other magazine, with the long bullets. It is the same length to the shoulder/neck jct. as a Creedmore but holds 71 grains of H20 with the improved design. I use 300 SAUM NORMA brass which is available and excellent quality. I shoot a 26" barrel on a Rem SA and get 3200' with 140's and have shot the 160 Matrix at 3050'. This is one flat shooting, long range round with a b.c. near .700 with the Matrix. I can get custom dies from Whiden in two months or less which are top quality. DSCF0526.jpg
This cartridge has a .320 neck, which is far better than the others that have been mentioned, and barrel life should be very good given the long neck and 40 degree shoulder which keeps the flame point inside the neck better (rather than directly into the throat) like the short necked .284 for example. you can load with very mild pressure and still out do the 6.5/284 by a considerable margin when it is loaded to top end!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.