New .338 cal 300 grain Nosler Accubond Long Range

codyadams

I was just checking out Noslers site and noticed they list a 300 grain Accubond Long Range now, but the B.C. is listed as TBD. My guess, they will market it with a B.C. of around .990....ha ha.

All joking aside, I have heard (mostly) decent reports on the accuracy and long range terminal performance of these bullets, and think it may be a decent option for a new .338 Norma mag that my friend and I just got put together. Anyone else have any info, input or just general discussion on this specific bullet? Thanks.

My opinion on the 150 gr 270 bullet is it is very explosive up close but a good bullet at distance. If the 300 is built about the same should be devastating with the mass it has!

I have heard good things about the LRAB's and can see what might be an advantage for extreme long range.

I don't claim to be an expert on bullet design and can only apply my experience with different bullet shapes and there behavior at different distanced and velocity.

From what I can tell they are what we would call a hybrid design.
secant ojive bullets have a much higher nose length to caliber Ratio than a Tangent ojive. (Tangent ojive's have a ratio of 8 to 1 and secant ojive's have a ratio of 16 to 1. This increase in nose length as well as overall length will increase the BC of the bullet, but may have a negative effect when it drops through the trans sonic velocity.

The shock wave appears to contribute some yaw to the back of the bullet. For some reason the tangent ojive has better luck managing
trans sonic velocities.

It appears that the LRAB is an attempt to find a happy medium for this problem with a higher ratio for the tangent ojive without going to a secant ojive.

I have seen high speed video of bullets at or below trans sonic velocities and the yaw was evident but inconclusive because there were many other things like twist rates that could be the problem and only full disclosure of all conditions and a direct comparison and shock wave video would show if there were any difference and when it occurred.

Maybe someone with much more knowledge about bullet shapes could explain this better than I have. The only tool I have is experience and common sense, so seeing is believing.

discussions are open and welcome.

J E CUSTOM

My opinion on the 150 gr 270 bullet is it is very explosive up close but a good bullet at distance. If the 300 is built about the same should be devastating with the mass it has!
I have heard this quite alot, and I think it would be a good option specifically for the Lapua and Norma type cartridges due to the lower initial velocity, 2650-2800 fps

Was your experience with the 150 .277 out of one of your Sherman designs? If it was, that would put it near what, around 3200 fps or so if I recall right....(sometimes I miss in that department ha ha) I could see it causing frag issues, being a softer design to still expand down to 1300 fps, and impacting at like 3000 fps in close.....LOTS of explosive properties ha ha

This last year, the average range we took game at was between 550 and 650 yards or so, and starting at say 2750 out of that .338 Norma, I think would put it in ideal impact velocity for good bullet performance, and even a close range impact would likely be below 2650 fps or so, I think it could work well for these type of cartridges....

Now throw it in a .338 LAI or a .338 Allen Magnum or something, and you will have explosive consequences in close ha ha though large/specialty .338's like these typically aren't used very often in close.

Another consideration is effective range, essentially all the 300 grain .338's bullets run out of effective on game range when they drop below the expansion threshold of 1600 or so fps, though they still have well over the generally accepted 1000 ft. lbs of energy. Lower that to 1300 fps with the ABLR, and you just extended the effective range of that cartridge, and a 300 grain at 1300 fps still has 1125 ft. lbs of energy. Though out of these cartridges, by the time it drops to that velocity it is somewhere in the 1600-2000 yard range, so it may not even be considered a benefit to many people, as game won't be taken by most at these extreme ranges. Just something else to add to the discussion ha ha

I think, if it is constructed like the other accubond LR's, could make for a great all range bullet in 2650-2800 fps mv .338's.

mv was 3152' out of my 270 SS 21" barrel. Almost blew the shoulder off at 130 yards with little getting through the ribcage. That was on a small white tail.

I now a guy at Defiance and he shot the 300 AB,s out of his NM and so does another there,think they had Bartelin,sp? barrels.Ive shoot just the 300 otms,but at close range theres some damage,its 300 gr.

I was just checking out Noslers site and noticed they list a 300 grain Accubond Long Range now, but the B.C. is listed as TBD. My guess, they will market it with a B.C. of around .990....ha ha.

All joking aside, I have heard (mostly) decent reports on the accuracy and long range terminal performance of these bullets, and think it may be a decent option for a new .338 Norma mag that my friend and I just got put together. Anyone else have any info, input or just general discussion on this specific bullet? Thanks.

Loaded them and shot 1 moa out of my weatherby 340. Recoil increased substantially. If you like shooting different bullets give it a go. Nothing a 225 or 250 gr wouldn't kill.

I did shoot 250 lb. Hog with a 200 gr AB out of my 340. Yep point of impact was the size of my fist and he died right there. Bullet was found floating around abdominal cavity. Honestly I wanted an exit hole. That's when I changed to barnes for hunting.

wonder what twist it will need?
It does not specify, but I'm sure its nothing the 9 twist we have on the 338 Norma I have been putting together shouldn't handle.

Loaded them and shot 1 moa out of my weatherby 340. Recoil increased substantially. If you like shooting different bullets give it a go. Nothing a 225 or 250 gr wouldn't kill.

Yes, a 225 or 250 will kill anything in North America, but a 300 will do it with less wind drift, more energy and more impact velocity at extended ranges.

Excited to see what the specs of this bullet will be once Nosler finalizes the design!!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.