New 308

wislnwings

I just mounted the scope last night on this new 308 project. It's a basic Remington heavy barrel 308 Win. I painted the stock because I didn't like the all black "tactical" look. The scope is a Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 mounted on a 20 moa base. I plan to upgrade the stock next to a Manners or McMillan. The rifle will be for target shooting for my wife and I and after she grows into it, for my 4 year old daughter to deer hunt (in box blinds, so weight is not an issue). Loaded up some Bergers for it and now just have to find time to get to the range and experiment.

Attachments

• IMG_20131026_172410_544.jpg
    IMG_20131026_172410_544.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 48
The paint job was really simple. I just pulled the stock off and sprayed in with a base coat of Krylon tan camo. Then I randomly sprayed the Krylon green camo areas. Finally I used the spray webbing to finish it all off. That was the hardest part. I had to practice on some cardboard to figure out how to get the webbing to come out right.

Finally made it out to the range today. These were my first 4 loads with Berger 168gr Classic Hunters. The 4th load (lower right side) began showing flattening primers. Unfortunately I did not have a chronograph along today to check velocity and deviation. The red aiming points are 1/2". The 3 shot group on the top target (at top of pic) was a Federal factory load with 175gr Sierra Matchkings.

Attachments

• IMG_20131103_111300_641.jpg
    IMG_20131103_111300_641.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 37
I quit shooting all my rifles except the muzzleloaders on a 100 yard range, in fact, I quit the club I belong to because they only had a 100 yard range and didn't want to increase the distance even though they had the room.

I sight everything in at 200 or better depending on caliber.

Those groups will open up at 200 or 300. 100 isn't a good benchmark today (except for front stuffers) and even a front stuffer sending custom non-saboted pills like a Thor is capable of some serious yardage and still retain it's killing power.

What looks good at 100 don't look so good at 200 or 300 or even 500.

Nice looking rifle btw. You need to stretch it out a bit however.

I agree. Unfortunately there are not any longer ranges nearby. I have a friend who has a private range where we can stretch it to 350, just have to find time to get over there since its a couple hours away.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.