New 300 WSM

Hunter66654

300 wsm, Montana rifleman stainless short magnum action, Kreiger 5.5 conture fluted 1/12 stainless barrel,NightForce 5.5x22 scope, NightForce 2-piece base and rings, B-P Tec brake, McMillan Sako 75 varmint stock modified by McMillan to fit my action, federal 215 match primer,Norma brass. David ( friend in Idaho who shoots 1000k in Missoula )has been working on loads for me. Today he shot a 3-shot group a hair under 1" at 400 yds with 70 grs of IMR 7828, 175 JLK at 3090fps. He thought it was a fluke so he shot 3 more into the same target at 400 yds yielding a 1.25" 6-shot group. Now, I ain't saying it will do it all the time , and I ain't saying I can do it anytime, but I sure do feel good about my first non off the shelf gun. All of you recognize the quality components in this gun , but to me the real secret to it's success is the ability of Shawn Thomason of Diamond-T Rifle shop in Craigmont, ID and David's knowledge on tuning bullets and powder.

Wyo, I would love to post pictures but my gun is still in Idaho. 100 rounds of brass being shipped to David, he will turn the necks for me and ship gun and brass to me as soon as he get's it. I also need to figure out how to post pictures on here.

Sounds like a real winner you got there
cool.gif

Hunter6, sounds like a nice rifle. I didnt realize until now, that Montana Rifleman offers a L/H action.

Without detracting from your post, how do you rate the MR actions?? Might be a nice alternative for me and my tendancy to shoot with the wrong hand..LOL..sakofan..

Sakofan, mine is r/h but they make a left hand although the guys who bought those are still waiting to get them. One advantage to the Montana short action is that the magazine is long enough ( 3.12" if I remember correctly ) to load long bullets like JLK and Berger without pushing them back into your powder column and without having to buy and install a Wyatt box. I originally looked at the HS Precision but their short action box was only 2.858". I am not technically inclined enough to compare one action's attributes to another but I certainly can't complain with the way it shoots all bullets that have been put into it so for ( 175 JLK, 155 Lapua, 168 SMK, 175 SMK ). hope this helps.

Sakofan, mine is r/h but they make a left hand although the guys who bought those are still waiting to get them. One advantage to the Montana short action is that the magazine is long enough ( 3.12" if I remember correctly ) to load long bullets like JLK and Berger without pushing them back into your powder column and without having to buy and install a Wyatt box. I originally looked at the HS Precision but their short action box was only 2.858". I am not technically inclined enough to compare one action's attributes to another but I certainly can't complain with the way it shoots all bullets that have been put into it so for ( 175 JLK, 155 Lapua, 168 SMK, 175 SMK ). hope this helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.