New 30/375 wildcat

All the components are in and at the smiths as of today. I expect the rifle to be finished in early April. This is the list of components:
BAT HR repeater action with 20 m.o.a. rail (melonite treated)
Long Wyatt box
Krieger 28", 4 groove, 10 twist, Sendero contour barrel (Melonite after break in)
4 port muscle break
Jewell trigger adjustable to 1 oz.
Greybull stock.
Sightron SIII 8-32x56/2 moa reticle
Seekins mounts
Chambered in 30/375 S.I.

I am calculating my 218 grain SXR's to top out close to 3100"
Will update when the rifle is together........Rich

All the components are in and at the smiths as of today. I expect the rifle to be finished in early April. This is the list of components:
BAT HR repeater action with 20 m.o.a. rail (melonite treated)
Long Wyatt box
Krieger 28", 4 groove, 10 twist, Sendero contour barrel (Melonite after break in)
4 port muscle break
Jewell trigger adjustable to 1 oz.
Greybull stock.
Sightron SIII 8-32x56/2 moa reticle
Seekins mounts
Chambered in 30/375 S.I.

I am calculating my 218 grain SXR's to top out close to 3100"
Will update when the rifle is together........Rich

Sweet! IF you should start another thread when you get the rifle, if you could let me know so that I don't miss out on the discussion. Not to mention I want to see the rifle!:D

Cool! It won't be long now. Will definitely look forward to seeing pic(s) of the completed rifle and MV/load data, and on-target results.

Cool! It won't be long now. Will definitely look forward to seeing pic(s) of the completed rifle and MV/load data, and on-target results.

Hopefully not TOOOOO long! I have quite a bit going on at work these days. I may have my 300 Sherman rechambered while I'm at it. This is on my B-78. It wouldn't cost much at all to just run the reamer in the old chamber:D.......Rich
p.s. that melonited BAT action is SWEEEEET and silky smooth.......

What's melonite and what is its purpose?

Melonite is a trade name for the "salt nitride" process which hardens the surface of metals to a depth of 10-20 microns. It also turns the surface a deep black similar to blueing. It is weatherproof and GREATLY cuts down on wear. The bolt movement feels like it is super lubricated. I'm told it can also increase barrel life and velocity as well as make for easy barrel cleaning. I plan on testing the velocity claims by duplicating loads before and after treatment........Rich

I just noticed on line that Quality cartridge is making 30/375 brass and selling thru Midway. This is obviously the std. necked down only version. Making my own doesn't look so bad now that I see they sell for $65.99/ box of 20! If anyone wants the std version I can save you about $30/box:D.......Rich

Melonite is a trade name for the "salt nitride" process which hardens the surface of metals to a depth of 10-20 microns. It also turns the surface a deep black similar to blueing. It is weatherproof and GREATLY cuts down on wear. The bolt movement feels like it is super lubricated. I'm told it can also increase barrel life and velocity as well as make for easy barrel cleaning. I plan on testing the velocity claims by duplicating loads before and after treatment........Rich

depending in the depth of hardening of course, nitride hardening can also had to the rigidity of the barrel
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.