New 264 Win Mag

Howdy, congratulations, 264wm is a great caliber. You will be fine with H1000 and Rl-26. H1000 will probably be more accurate, RL-26 will give you more fps. For braking it in I would use what I have the most of. Or try both, then you will know what to use. Happy shooting. šŸ‘šŸ˜Ž
I think I'll start with the H1000. I prefer accuracy over speed just wanted to get over 3000 ft./s. And I have more H1000 then RL 26.

Did you have it chambered with a SAAMI spec 264WIN reamer, or did you add some free bore? The data changes appreciably if you are able to seat the bullets out of the case further. Cases will have much better life if you are headspacing off the shoulder rather than off the belt. With the 140g and heavier cup and core bullets I wouldn't waste your time with any powder faster than H4831. As previously mentioned, the best results will be found around the burn rate of Retumbo.
When I start loading I will find out where the lands are And I'll have to see how much room I have in my magazine.

I think I'll start with the H1000. I prefer accuracy over speed just wanted to get over 3000 ft./s. And I have more H1000 then RL 26.
You should be fine, focus on braking in the barrel first, once you get around or over 100 rounds down the barrel you will know for sure. Everything will look good around 40 - 50 rounds, but it should settle down around 100. I've had a handful 264 Wm. And 3 custom built. You will love this gun. If you don't I will buy it. šŸ‘šŸ˜

Those factory Nosler accubonds will be very accurate, good feeding cartridges for factory ammo. They always shot well in my 264's. I've had 3 of them over the years, current one's been rebuilt 3 times and remains my favourite.

I shoot a 129accubond LR handload over Retumbo at 3230fps or so, through a 24" 5r Benchmark. I'm someplace around 800 rounds through that one now and it hasn't faltered a bit. Pretty well shoot the accubond long range exclusively in it. Some guys say the ABLR bullets are finicky in their rifles, but mines been terrific with them.. I'm stocked up well

Before I rebarrelled that gun, I shot mostly 140vld's, but wasn't happy about the way they fed, and didn't care for their explosiveness on flesh. Guy still gets some degree of explosive with the ABLR's, but its designed with a little more integrity through a broader velocity window than a Berger vld is, and I've legitimately found them a far better choice through that wider window of velocity's and distances downrange like is claimed. It's design is better on slightly tougher skins and thicker gristles than the vld reliably performs through too-- they WILL open, and do-not pencil**

Goodluck though, whatever bullet you settle on... 264wm is a hands down favourite of mine, been shooting one since the late 90's, and it's a great cartridge

Last edited: