New 150 matrix test

I'm getting a Winchester wsm sa barreled in 6.5 saum tomorrow morning . I have matrix 142 , 150 , and 160 grain vld's on hand and plenty of H1000 and a little Retumbo. I'm leaving on the 17th of October to hunt elk and deer in Montana and this rifle has got to be ready due to unforseen circumstances. After looking at the deer pictures I'm leaning to the 150's . The reamer has a .178 throat so I can seat the bullets well out . I hope to have it ready to shoot by next Saturday if everything arrives on time.
My question is what powder and what starting charge would the guys shooting this round recommend ? What shouldi expect for velocity ? 26" 5r benchmark barrel. Unless something changes I'm going to have to use nosler 7mm saum brass so what kind of life should I expect ?

That question might be better answered over on the snipers hide. There is a thread on the 6.5 SAUM and also a thread on reloading for it. They are using H-1000 and 130's at 3100-3150 if I remember correctly. Likely get 2950 witH the 150's, which is what I'd try first. Bruce

I'm getting a Winchester wsm sa barreled in 6.5 saum tomorrow morning . I have matrix 142 , 150 , and 160 grain vld's on hand and plenty of H1000 and a little Retumbo. I'm leaving on the 17th of October to hunt elk and deer in Montana and this rifle has got to be ready due to unforseen circumstances. After looking at the deer pictures I'm leaning to the 150's . The reamer has a .178 throat so I can seat the bullets well out . I hope to have it ready to shoot by next Saturday if everything arrives on time.
My question is what powder and what starting charge would the guys shooting this round recommend ? What shouldi expect for velocity ? 26" 5r benchmark barrel. Unless something changes I'm going to have to use nosler 7mm saum brass so what kind of life should I expect ?

I ran the 150's outa my saum at 3067 w a 24" bbl. no pressure signs 60.5 H1000. That same load should get you tight around 3100 out of a 26" bbl. start at 60.5 and go up from there.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.