Nevada High Desert Hunting

Savage 25-06

Hello everyone in the west, Looks like we're moving south of Battle Mountain,Nevada.
Wanting to learn about the hunting in that area, or Nevada in general.
Interested in Elk, Antelope, Mule Deer and any bird hunting.
Savage 25-06 gun)

I live over here in Elko and there is lots of hunting around here, but also a lot of hunters. Too many trophy hunters with all the latest super duper gadgets that go along with it. But there are Elk Mule Deer Antelope here to hunt.

You could have lived near the Armpit of America.

The dubious honor was bestowed on Battle Mountain by The Washington Post in December 2001 by humor writer Gene Weingarten. (It was a joke. Of sorts.) He citied the Nevada town for the armpit award for its "lack of character and charm," its "pathetic assemblage of ghastly buildings and nasty people," and its location "in the midst of harsh and uninviting wilderness."

While there are some good hunting opportunities near BM, it's not what I would call a nice place to live. It's a truck stop, railroad stop, and an Indian Reservation town.

If you're still looking, try a bit further East or West of BM.

Thanks for the information geargrinder, what do you know of the building codes/regulations around Elko or else where. We'd just like to be off grid as much as possible. Now what we mean by off grid is just for the most part getting away from the Utility Co. Bills hawks and such, not really needing to be a 100 miles from town.

Savage 25-06 gun)

The Elko area is beautiful. Lots of excellent outdoor opportunities. It's also large enough to have good shopping, and healthcare providers. It's big enough to have Walmart, Kmart, several grocery stores, and a well staffed hospital.

It's largely a mining town that's coming off a 5 year gold boom. Housing and land prices have stabilized and are dropping a bit the last couple years. There should be some good deals to be had.

I don't know much about specifically dealing with the county (Elko is in Elko County) building department, but they follow normal codes for snow loads, wind loads, frost line depth, soil pressure....etc. Just like any other building department would. It's still a rural county so I'd expect them to be fairly informal and willing to work with the landowner in a personal wey.

If you want cheaper and can handle a very rural setting take a look at Ely. It's about 180 miles south of Elko. Smaller town, but still has the vital necessities.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.