• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED Needing a good but cheaper priced scope

I have an older (80s) Tasco, 3-9×40, one of the Japanese models where it doesn't look like you're looking through a fishbowl and you can actually feel the turrets move. 25 bucks, basically shipping cost.

I want to let all of you know we are still looking at options and I greatly appreciate all the great offers and support. There are some AMAZINGLY generous members on this site, and I feel very blessed to be associated with you all.

I am working with the father and brother to find the best optics and situation for the young man. I will post where we are early next week on our search.

Again, thank you all for the replies and support.

Roger

I'm a certified optics junkie and have owned about everything from end of the cost spectrum to the other.
There are a lot of fine optics that will more than do the job and then some.
I favor the European made glass based on performance and having intimate knowledge of the culture and how they are designed and produced.
If you can manage to fit Meopta into the budget they might be the best bang for your buck among all companies. I truly don't know how they put out a product that exceeds the strictest of standards at the manufacturing stage and stands toe to toe optically with glass that's 2-4X the cost.
I've owned several but never the Optika line. But I know plenty of guys who are finicky about their glass that have nothing but good things to say about them.
Your optics are a real investment and can make or break your experience and end results. Really good glass doesn't wear out and I wouldn't be afraid to buy used or Demo.
Most any scope should get a guy through a hunt or two without fail, but ideally it should last a lifetime and the perform the same 20 yrs from now as it did new.
Good luck with the scope and the hunting.

I have to agree with most of that, I have an Optika 6 on a competition rifle, I run it beside Gen2 Razors, Atacrs, Steiner, Khales, and Mark 5s, and I don't feel handicapped, but that's 850$ even when you find a really good sale. I lean Japanese myself, and I think you should take a hard look at a Sightron Stac 4-20 illuminated ffp zero stop, sometimes places like gunzonedeals have them on sale for 450ish, they check every box, don't break the bank, their customer service is top notch and right here in the states, in NC with 7-10 day turnarounds. That model is made in the Philippines, but still uses Hoya/Light optics Japanese glass, and will treat him well for many different disciplines and last for years to come.

Doug is at shot show. Spoke to Neal at Camera land today and got some really go options. The Meopta optika5 is on the top of the list.

I don't want to bore you guys with the details but I will say this young man has had some challenges in his life that are outside of his control, including losing his mother this summer. We are looking to get him good glass on a budget that does not have lots of bells and he gets lost in some details. Regardless, I can't thank all of you enough for what you have offered in deals and in advice. I know we will get him a scope that will fit his needs.

Have a blessed weekend

Roger.

Doug is at shot show. Spoke to Neal at Camera land today and got some really go options. The Meopta optika5 is on the top of the list.

I don't want to bore you guys with the details but I will say this young man has had some challenges in his life that are outside of his control, including losing his mother this summer. We are looking to get him good glass on a budget that does not have lots of bells and he gets lost in some details. Regardless, I can't thank all of you enough for what you have offered in deals and in advice. I know we will get him a scope that will fit his needs.

Have a blessed weekend

Roger.
If you decide on something that's a little above his budget even with your help, please let me know. I would probably be game to help out a little to get a new shooter good gear.

That said the optika5 is a great scope for the money and compares well with anything in that price range.

There was another thread talking about Riton scopes having a 50% off in stock sale. I have a couple of their scopes, top end and bottom. I like their sfp scopes for hunting and just ordered a Primal 1 4-16x for $138, will probably order a couple others to upgrade on varmint rifles. There are some awesome scopes running in the $3-400 range at the 50% range.