Needed 6.5x284 deer load

Hi guys I hope its OK if I jump in with the same question I reload for numerous calibers. But always loaded at suggested COL. I picked up a Savage Longrange hunter in 6.5-284 twist rate is 1-8. I have 140 gr. bergers hunting and target, Lapua brass, 4831sc powder and usually use Remington primers. I am looking to get about 3,000 ftps and need advice on powder charge and COL. Thanks, Cattail

Hi guys I hope its OK if I jump in with the same question I reload for numerous calibers. But always loaded at suggested COL. I picked up a Savage Longrange hunter in 6.5-284 twist rate is 1-8. I have 140 gr. bergers hunting and target, Lapua brass, 4831sc powder and usually use Remington primers. I am looking to get about 3,000 ftps and need advice on powder charge and COL. Thanks, Cattail

My OAL with 140 Bergers in my Savage LRH is 3.190" to the lands. RL17 might get you close to 3000 but more like 2950fps with 49g or so. H4831sc will be 100+fps slower.

Last edited:
Thanks CogburnR, I can live with about 2850 fps, the COl is a big help now I can get to reloading. Cattail

Thanks CogburnR, I can live with about 2850 fps, the COl is a big help now I can get to reloading. Cattail

Make sure you used the 3.190" not the 3.290 that I fat fingered in(can't type).

Your LRH may be different but I think they kinda shot for a 3.2" oal with the 140g Berger.

Mine shoots best with the 140 at 3.220 and it is sitting on the lands in my rifle. Not sure why the difference.

Thanks looks like I have some room to play with its nice that people are willing to share their knowlege. Thanks again fella's I hope everyone has a good Easter.

Mark,

Sorry if it seemed that we were hijacking the original thread subject but maybe you were able to extract some useful information from what CSV and I were talking about.
Good shooting and again I hope that you have gotten some useful information, BK.
No problem here. Keep talking, I'm listening. Thanks

No problem here. Keep talking, I'm listening. Thanks
Here's my deer load for my 6.5-284.

50.5 grain - IMR 4831
210 Federal Match primer
Lapua brass
140 grain Berger Hunting VLD

Chronograph reading for 5 shot string
65-284001.jpg

Shot this deer at 603 yards last December in Texas.

Texas2010012.jpg

My rifle has 26" Lothar Walther #3 contour with 8 Twist.

Texas2010010.jpg

The recovered bullet... what was left of it.

Texas015.jpg

The detail of the hunt was posted at the Nosler forum. Here's the excerpt of my response on page 2, from one of the discussion about Longrange Shooting.

NoslerReloading.com • View topic - Long Range Shooting / "Hunting"

Nice response on the other forum DF. I can't abide someone trying to tell another person how to enjoy their sport.

I just joined this forum. I participate in another forum which is dominated by LR competition guys, and it's nice to find a place were people shoot long range with the same goals as myself.

With that said, if I may, let me ask a 6.5x.284 question of my own. I'm having a 6.5x.284 Norma built as we speak. Mine is on a short action, which means I have to keep my COL @ 2.9" or less to fit my magazine. With the loads you guys have mentioned. What would you do differently if you had to conform to that COL? My goal is whitetails out to 750 or so. As I've stated in another thread, I'm considering the 130 scirocco 2. Single loading them is not out of the question, but not preferred. I went with the 8 twist Shilen ratchet rifling, so the deep throat doesn't bother me. I'm a Weatherby shooter anyway, so I'm use to it.

I would just have the chamber cut for that COAL and start a little lower on charge weight to work up to your max load. I just would not use any of the data from those of us loading at around 3.2 inches, as your results will be FAR different as you will have a significantly different loaded case capacity.

Yeah, I thought about getting it chamberd in strait up 6.5x.284 win @ 2.8" COAL, but I wanted to have more options. Like I said, if I have to single stuff'em I will. I got some HSM's for my barrel break-in, mic'ed them @ 2.907", and they just almost fit. From what I see of your loads, HSM is loading that 140 a bit short. I'll post my results with'em. Thanks for the feed back.

I'm just finished working on a hunting load for home built Savage Axis 6.5x284. I have a varmint weight 26" EA Brown barrel. Great barrel but will never buy from them again, but that's already been post on a different thread.

Any way, my self imposed 600yd limit decided to use Nosler 140gr BT. Pushed with H1000...I'm getting 2930fps average with 54.3gr. of powder. I forget the OAL, it seem it's a pretty good jump though. I need to go back and check my notes.

IMO- you can work up a load (including a long OAL) for hunt and single feed the first shot. If a follow up shot is needed, feed from the magazine. If the shot was a "true" long range shot you most likely will not be shooting at a moving target so you will have time to single feed it again.

I know that sounds like a bunch to have to work though in your head but it's doable. I was shooting three different loads yesterday 130 Berger OTM, 135 Berger Classic Hunter and the 140 Nosler bullets. I could hit a 10" steel gong at 600yds with almost the exact same hold.

That said depending on the yardage of the shot you might be able to feed from the magazine for a followup shot.

It has not been my experience in the past to have my Nosler bullets shoot with my Bergers but I guess I got lucky with these loads.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts