Need Some input Please. New Gun

shooters

Hey Guys, this is my first post. I am mainly a bow hunter, but I buy guns all the time. About 2 months ago, I purchased the new 2009 Rem VTR R15 in Max 1 camo. 24 inch barrel, .223. I have heard positive and negative things about this gun, but the people giving me advice have never shot or owned one. I bought this gun on a hunch. Question is, did I spend $1270 on a good gun, or should I have spend the money on something else, or should this be a good quality gun? I plan on using it for small critters. Thanks for the help guys.

Luck of the draw, I had 2 brought in my shop for work, one shot ok the other like crap. The crap one is in remingtons hands right now, suposidly getting a new barrel but we'll see.

Thanks. Were these the 2009 Models? I spoke with REM and they "said" that the new 09 models were extremly accurate, well beyond previous years. I don't know if they are just saying what I want to hear or not. I don't want to shoot it yet untill I have heard some stories. It seems I got very lucky on getting this gun. The demand for the NEW VTR is crazy. So, if people that own them seem to be unhappy, I guess I will sell it. "Never Fired" Thanks again

Jason

FYI
These guns are made for Remington by Bushmaster. If the proposed assualt weapon ban goes thru thi gun will be worth some money. One it has the remington stamp on it and two it is an AR. In my area the are sold as soon as they hit the gun shop.

Thanks. I believe Bushmaster is made by Rem, right?? I might be wrong. Anyway, I go into a lot of shops and tell them what I bought and they say I'm wrong, there not even out yet. Or they say, your one lucky guy because there impossible to buy. That last comment is the reason I bought the gun, so.... I will hang on to it for a while and see what plays out.

Remingtons AR style rifles are made by Bushmaster. I would say your fortunate to have one. I have a bushmaster sst varmiter. Sub MOA. Shooter with reloads. If you want a probable collector you have it. If you want a shooter you probably have one. Either way you win.

Thanks bud. Ya, I really don't know much about this gun. Any suggestions for an all around good load for the .223? Never owned one. Also, this may sound dumb, but should I even shoot this gun? It seems I have been getting a lot of emails on it to sell it. Don't know what to do.

Personally I would not shoot it. Unfortunately I believe another assualt weapons bill will be passed. The gun will be worth much more unfired. I shoot a bushmaster sst varmiter and my boys shoot colts. About a year ago I bought three other AR's. As an investment. They have done much better than my 401K. If you want to shoot it I have had good success with Hodgdon Varget powder and Barnes varmit gernade bullets. They are devistating on prarie dog. For punching paper I just by Winchester PSP bullets in 500 bulk packs. I also suggest that you pick up some 20 round mags. Don't get the 30 rounders they extend down to far for shooting off a bench. buy name brand mags - colt or dpms mags work best for me. Becareful there are a lot of junk mags out there.

Personally I would not shoot it. Unfortunately I believe another assualt weapons bill will be passed. The gun will be worth much more unfired. If you want to sell it I would wait for a while. The value is. Only going to go up. I shoot a bushmaster sst varmiter and my boys shoot colts. About a year ago I bought three other AR's. As an investment. They have done much better than my 401K. If you want to shoot it I have had good success with Hodgdon Varget powder and Barnes varmit gernade bullets. They are devistating on prarie dog. For punching paper I just by Winchester PSP bullets in 500 bulk packs. I also suggest that you pick up some 20 round mags. Don't get the 30 rounders they extend down to far for shooting off a bench. buy name brand mags - colt or dpms mags work best for me. Be careful there are a lot of junk mags out there.

Personally I would not shoot it. Unfortunately I believe another assualt weapons bill will be passed. The gun will be worth much more unfired. I shoot a bushmaster sst varmiter and my boys shoot colts. About a year ago I bought three other AR's. As an investment. They have done much better than my 401K. If you want to shoot it I have had good success with Hodgdon Varget powder and Barnes varmit gernade bullets. They are devistating on prarie dog. For punching paper I just by Winchester PSP bullets in 500 bulk packs. I also suggest that you pick up some 20 round mags. Don't get the 30 rounders they extend down to far for shooting off a bench. buy name brand mags - colt or dpms mags work best for me. Becareful there are a lot of junk mags out there.

I'm sure glad you mentioned it, because I was about to buy the 30 rounders. Good to know. I hear ya about the 401k. I don't have much left in mine. Only wish I could have know, or I would have invested heavily on guns. Oh well. Thanks again!

Jason

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.