Need some info on why the 25 cal isn't used for long range shooting

stbbo

Ok so I've wanted to know why the 25 cal has never been considered a competitor in long range shooting. I know most likely it is bullet selection. Reason being is I have a 257 ack imp which Shoots lights out at 300 yds it has shot sub 1" groups at that distance. I see the reasons for cals like 243 and 6mm rem being go to for 1k yd, but why not the 257 ack imp. I might be mistaken but that is the parent case for the 6mm rem. the 100 gr vld's for the 1/4 bore bc are listed on the box at .523. Is the old bob just an old timer round. I've shot Texas wt,axis, aoudad out to 350 yds with no issue most haven't run more than 10-20 yds. Also what is the effective paper punching range for my bob improved? Thanks

FYI I might have some info wrong that's why I'm asking the guys who would know

Typically poor BC's in 25 cal limit it's effectiveness beyond 600 or so yards where the wind starts taking them for a ride. On calm days no problem at targets but again the poor bc limits velocity of the light bullets to below what most consider enough ft lbs of energy.

I don't know of any 25 cal vlds with a .523 bc, 115 berger is .466 and a 108 BIB is .5, only others higher are wildcat bullets and they need an 8 twist and your Bob ackley won't pust them fast enough, they are 139, 142, and 156 grain.

Thanks guys. So basically 500 yds and less the bob can work but over and it gets dicey thanks for the info I figured it was bc related. Ya weird that's the listed bc of the vld's I got from a co worker long time ago.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.