Need some guidance..

Creedmoore is not any better than the Swiss 6.5x55. Creedmoore only developed to fit in AR platform. Spend less and the Swiss 6.5 is a very capable cartridge. This constant selling of new and overpriced cartridges only takes more $$ from your pockets.

I think even most great fans of the 22-250 would agree it's a little light for Elk hunting considering it fires a 22 cal (specifically a .224) round. Most are 12 twist so may not even stabilize the heaviest 224 bullets. On the plus side it has a muzzle velocity of over 3800 FPS with a 53 gn projectile. So has a lot of energy and potential penetration and range with the right bullet.

Creedmoore is not any better than the Swiss 6.5x55. Creedmoore only developed to fit in AR platform. Spend less and the Swiss 6.5 is a very capable cartridge. This constant selling of new and overpriced cartridges only takes more $$ from your pockets.
That's why I'm a fan of cartridges that have been around for a long time and are very well proven.

With the right bullets and the range discussed you can have decent results on elk with the 6.5 Creedmoor, I have no doubt.
Our experience suggests that you shoot for the shoulder, and whatever happens, if the elk is still standing after the shot, keep shooting until it falls.
They mostly fall down with a good hit, but if they don't they can go a very long ways before expiring, making recovery very difficult.
We finally settled on the .338 WinMag, and we still follow the above rule. We think the results are a bit better with the bigger gun.

With the right bullets and the range discussed you can have decent results on elk with the 6.5 Creedmoor, I have no doubt.
Our experience suggests that you shoot for the shoulder, and whatever happens, if the elk is still standing after the shot, keep shooting until it falls.
They mostly fall down with a good hit, but if they don't they can go a very long ways before expiring, making recovery very difficult.
We finally settled on the .338 WinMag, and we still follow the above rule. We think the results are a bit better with the bigger gun.
I think a lot of this will have to fall on what I'm comfortable with. If the round is questionable or I am uncertain, it'll most likely be out of the equation. Sounds like a few guy's have had luck with the Creedmore, but I want to do the animal justice and have a humane kill. I'm going to try to keep wounding the animal to an absolute minimum.

I live in Colorado and have a number of rifles to use. Four years ago I sold my 300 RSM and rebarreled a Remington Model 7 to 6.5 Creedmoor, with a 24 inch barrel. I worked up a load with Hornady 143 grain ELD-X bullets and H4350 powder. I sent the environmental and load data to leopoldo, and they made a custom dial for my Leupold 4x-14x scope. I killed an elk with one shot at 350 yards the first year, and have killed three mule deer, eight whitetail, and four pronghorns with the rifle. The load is like a lightning bolt on all the game shot with it, and the Hornady bullet is incredible. I like the versatility and light weight. (6 lbs loaded with scope and sling) I have an accurate 30-06 and a .375 H&H that I could use on elk, but again, this rifle works on everything so far and I'm getting used to shooting it accurately. In December I ranged an antelope doe at 585 yards, set the Leupold dial at 580, rested the rifle on a fence post, and the antelope was a one-shot kill.

The Creed would be fine but for the longer ranges why risk it? It would definitely get there but not with the energy to just crush and bust through a elk shoulder. I would go with a 7mag or one of the 300's for Elk. I personally shoot a 300WSM and a 7 Mag and neither have let me down during a Elk hunt. I did like your comment on the KRG Bravo stock, I shoot one on one of my rigs and love it.

The Creed would be fine but for the longer ranges why risk it? It would definitely get there but not with the energy to just crush and bust through a elk shoulder. I would go with a 7mag or one of the 300's for Elk. I personally shoot a 300WSM and a 7 Mag and neither have let me down during a Elk hunt. I did like your comment on the KRG Bravo stock, I shoot one on one of my rigs and love it.
I definitely want to use one and see how I like it! Looks pretty dang sweet

Lots of good calibers out there that are great for elk hunting. Energy delivered to the elk is main thing for killing the animal of that size. Of the two stick with the 300wm.
Personaly I would not use a creed to shoot a elk. Big animal vs small bullet

I will be moving to Utah from Oklahoma in March. I definitely will be getting into Elk hunting and I was told to go with a 6.5 Creedmore. My main goal is primarily to hunt Elk and do some long range shooting at a range with yardage up to 2,000yds. I was also contemplating building a 300WM and putting a good muzzle brake on it to help with recoil. With me being new to Elk hunting I told the gentleman I don't plan on shooting past 400-500yds. I'm just concerned with penetration with the 6.5 Creedmore on a large animal. Also, what would you guy's recommend for a good muzzle brake? Thanks for any input gentlemen.
I lived in Utah for a while, went to school there, married a Utah girl and lived there for a few years after I graduated. There is some good hunting - there. Go with the 300 wm and be done with it.

300WM no doubt!
To me there is a really Creedmoor hype going on. I shoot everything with 300WM even the small roedeer and also the over 200pound wild boar without any problem and distance isn't a problem. Bulletselection is important and if recoil is a matter: a strait Hogue stock will help a lot.

I will be moving to Utah from Oklahoma in March. I definitely will be getting into Elk hunting and I was told to go with a 6.5 Creedmore. My main goal is primarily to hunt Elk and do some long range shooting at a range with yardage up to 2,000yds. I was also contemplating building a 300WM and putting a good muzzle brake on it to help with recoil. With me being new to Elk hunting I told the gentleman I don't plan on shooting past 400-500yds. I'm just concerned with penetration with the 6.5 Creedmore on a large animal. Also, what would you guy's recommend for a good muzzle brake? Thanks for any input gentlemen.
You may to check and see dnr's regulations are, I forget which state requires 270 minimum size bullet or larger

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.